• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Official Photography Thread

PSX_20151029_062903.jpg

Nothing overly special besides a longer shutter time on my cell phone. And lots of filters.

I am looking to buy a good camera in the next month or so. I am a rookie when it comes to picking one out. Any suggestions?

I am looking to buy a good camera in the next month or so. I am a rookie when it comes to picking one out. Any suggestions?
Depends on your requirements.

I assume you are going for digital SLR.

What is your budget?
If you can afford full frame, go for it. I don't know how much you know, but full frame cameras are more expensive, but they are able to take better pictures in low light because it has a larger sensor which means that the shutter can be left open for shorter periods of time to capture the same quality image as a "2/3 sensor" DX camera.

Will you photograph:-
* Landscape more than people -> go for canon
* People more than landscape -> Nikon - In camera skin tones are superior to canon.
Sports photography -> Nikon (faster sequential shutter speed for equivalent models)
Night photography -> Nikon - has the edge in terms of better autofocus in low light situations (for equivalent models)
Studio photography (ie. you don't need speed, but need better detail?) -> Nikon D800 or current model equivalent
Light weight? -> suggest Sony alpha series
Need more variety of lenses including f1.0/f1.2? -> canon (have more lens selections)

* Hardcore photographers will photograph in RAW (more data in the picture and can be manipulated more easily postproduction). I use RAW only for important shoots e.g. weddings or photos I am specifically going to print at large sizes. Personally, I mainly shoot in high res jpeg. My reasoning is that I hate post production mucking around. It takes the joy out of taking photos for me. If you have to spend too long "adjusting", it means it wasn't a great picture in the first place. If you intend to fart around all day in photoshop, then it doesn't matter whether you photograph with a Nikon or a Canon. Both will capture the "raw" data. But if you want to get good results "straight" out of the camera, then consider which brand you will use. Nikon's algorithms for out of camera jpeg skin tones are superior (in my opinion) to Canon.

Bear in mind, you are buying into a lens system. I would not go Olympus, Leica, Pentax or other brands due to expense and lack of second hand available lenses.

Bandhphoto.com has good deals from time to time and a good second hand market section.

snapsort.com is my go to website for camera comparisons.

You should try out different cameras in a real store to see how it feels in the hand before buying.

If buying second hand, get the owner to send you an unedited JPEG photograph of blue sky at the lowest f stop so you can see dust on the sensor. To check actual shutter count (the number can be reset in camera by the user), get an unedited jpeg photograph from the camera and use one of these programs to determine how many shutter actuations have occurred.
FreeShutterCounter - check Canon EOS shutter count (Mac) (for canons)
astrojargon - 40D Shutter Count for Mac/pc
or just look up "free shutter count" program.

The best cameras to buy second hand are from owners who are not professionals, ie. rich amateur photographers who are upgrading unnecessarily. Typically, shutter counts will be low, ie 20,000 or less.

Keep in mind that digital cameras have a lifespan. ie. shutter failures can occur. Therefore cameras have a suggested lifespan in terms of shutter actuations. It's like a car's mileage, but in shutter actuations (numbers of time the shutter opens and shuts). Most range from 100,000 -> 300,000 counts. Of course, they often can last much longer, but reliability isn't guaranteed. For most amateur photographers, it's not really an issue. But if you intend to do event, or wedding photography, you may take between 500-2000 shots per event, depending on how "safe" you want to be (for important events, I always "double-tap" ie. take 2 shots at the same time (to minimise photographing groups with eyes shut).

P.s. If you intend to carry cameras around all day for your shoots, then I suggest you consider the "on"/"off" switch. Nikons have a quick start up time and can be turned on with one hand. Canons need 2 hands on the camera to turn on. It doesn't sound like much, but it's annoying if you're needing to be responsive during the day, e.g. sports, or weddings.

Wow what great clarity
The 105 F2.8 lens is a freaking showstopper, man...

It creates the best bokeh I’ve ever seen on a lens that costs under $3500...

In another thread, @cacatman said it was “fake blur” - when people say that, you KNOW the lens is crazy good :)

Latest Posts

Back