• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oil Rig Lenses - Confirm Frame?

adamsapple19

Oakley Expert
Colorado
Hi, I have the below lenses for oil rigs (30% off Vault store lens sale this past weekend) - The vault store unfortunately didn't have any Oil Rig frames. This is a pair I am wanting to add to my collection.

Needless to say my search takes me online. The lenses are #16-689. I see they are available on the Oakley site but I'm not locating "for sure" information about the frames these fit into.

I'm hoping an experienced Oakley fan can confirm that these lenses will fit an oil rig frame 03-464 129? And if not, what lens # am I looking for?

Ideally I am wanting the matte black with the "inset" icon - I say this specifically as I believe there are at least 2 Generations of oil rigs - one with a standard square icon and one with the "inset" icon. I am unsure if the frames on all of them are standard, fitting the exact same size lens or if any of the frames hold different size lenses.

Sorry if this is a super-newbie question. Just want to be confident before I pull the trigger on the frames to put this baby together.

Very much appreciate any assistance/insight. Thanks.

20170405_120916.jpg

Hi, I have the below lenses for oil rigs (30% off Vault store lens sale this past weekend) - The vault store unfortunately didn't have any Oil Rig frames. This is a pair I am wanting to add to my collection.

Needless to say my search takes me online. The lenses are #16-689. I see they are available on the Oakley site but I'm not locating "for sure" information about the frames these fit into.

I'm hoping an experienced Oakley fan can confirm that these lenses will fit an oil rig frame 03-464 129? And if not, what lens # am I looking for?

Ideally I am wanting the matte black with the "inset" icon - I say this specifically as I believe there are at least 2 Generations of oil rigs - one with a standard square icon and one with the "inset" icon. I am unsure if the frames on all of them are standard, fitting the exact same size lens or if any of the frames hold different size lenses.

Sorry if this is a super-newbie question. Just want to be confident before I pull the trigger on the frames to put this baby together.

Very much appreciate any assistance/insight. Thanks.

View attachment 327080

Hi, it WILL be fine in either frame. They only changed the earstems, not the frame itself: just to clarify, they only changed the Icon on the earstems, not the shape as far as I know. I don't collect Oil Rig IIs, only the First iteration.

Hi, it WILL be fine in either frame. They only changed the earstems, not the frame itself: just to clarify, they only changed the Icon on the earstems, not the shape as far as I know. I don't collect Oil Rig IIs, only the First iteration.

Awesome, thanks for the info - Now I can locate a frame on ebay. I'll try to remember to come back and update this thread w a pic of the final product.

Wish I was in a position to collect over the last 10-15 years...I certainly would have been. From that time period I only still own a 128MB White-Camo pair of Thumps. Now with the Oil Rigs phasing out altogether I'll have to be content for now w the 2nd Gen (I do dig the inset Icon). Can't justify buying 2 pair at the moment so I'm going w the look I like best.

Awesome, thanks for the info - Now I can locate a frame on ebay. I'll try to remember to come back and update this thread w a pic of the final product.

Wish I was in a position to collect over the last 10-15 years...I certainly would have been. From that time period I only still own a 128MB White-Camo pair of Thumps. Now with the Oil Rigs phasing out altogether I'll have to be content for now w the 2nd Gen (I do dig the inset Icon). Can't justify buying 2 pair at the moment so I'm going w the look I like best.

Look forward to seeing them when you get them: I don't dig the 'castle' Icon hence 1st Gen but we love to see collections........however many that may be.

Too late to help, but Rig 2 is my favorite by far. There color combos and the agressive style is my favorite, but I also love the first gen too.

Exactly, it's such an arrogant style .. love it. Didn't really like the non-active line much until recently. Now I'm really getting into it.

Exactly, it's such an arrogant style .. love it. Didn't really like the non-active line much until recently. Now I'm really getting into it.
Awsome to hear, oakley had plenty of that sort of, loud style of omatter. Check out the holiday oil rigs if you get the chance, my favorite frames Oakley ever made(besides ott of course)

Got the frame yesterday, final result below!

Shield lens was a little more difficult to change on these than with the Batwolf wrap.

Tbh, the frames feel quite light, lighter than I expected - even after hearing that they do run light. Doesn't seem to be the same material that, say, Fuel Cells or Batwolfs are made from. Even the Matte Black color seems a little "less Matte" (almost like a semi-polished) when compared to the other mentioned frames. Still a uniquely badass and arrogant look though!

20170419_150350.jpg
20170419_150417.jpg
20170419_150436.jpg
20170419_150513.jpg

Got the frame yesterday, final result below!

Shield lens was a little more difficult to change on these than with the Batwolf wrap.

Tbh, the frames feel quite light, lighter than I expected - even after hearing that they do run light. Doesn't seem to be the same material that, say, Fuel Cells or Batwolfs are made from. Even the Matte Black color seems a little "less Matte" (almost like a semi-polished) when compared to the other mentioned frames. Still a uniquely badass and arrogant look though!

View attachment 331515 View attachment 331516 View attachment 331517 View attachment 331518
Congrats:)

Back