• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Old School Optical

Max Kara

Oakley Beginner
Hi Guys,

I worked with Oakley frames for many years back in the days before Luxottica. I greatly respected the product, even if I was not an avid collector. I have been out of the profession for a while, but remember the good old days when Oakley was the loan leader in a new eyewear frontier.
What is the consensus on Oakley post buyout? How does today's product compare to the original USA made frames.?

Welcome to the community.

You'll find most members feel there are many frames today that are functional and eminently wearable. Not nearly the innovation and dedication to the product itself as there was pre-Luxottica.

The good old days. General consensus is a longing for the past dominance.

Welcome and I agree with @cyclerdoug

Even though Luxottic bought Oakley back in '07, I think it took some time before they started to impact the "innovation" and dedication (as stated by cylerdoug) and is now apparent in a lot of the more recent frames.

I, like others, seemed to be drawn to older pairs, but I'm sure you will find those who like the current models as well.

i agree with the consensus on this post. Oakley was the leader in innovation when Jim was the owner. Just look at the X Metal line. Still the best line of sunglasses ever made IMO. Comparing new to old isnt even possible. Just look at the Trillbe. Looks like Lux had a damaged frame laying around on the floor and decided to put it on the market. Looks like a 5 dollar gas station pair of glasses.

Hi Guys,

I worked with Oakley frames for many years back in the days before Luxottica. I greatly respected the product, even if I was not an avid collector. I have been out of the profession for a while, but remember the good old days when Oakley was the loan leader in a new eyewear frontier.
What is the consensus on Oakley post buyout? How does today's product compare to the original USA made frames.?
Welcome!

Back