• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Older M Frame (06-07) Icon removal for refinish or replacement

LBlack14

I should Work at Oakley
Mason, Ohio
Hello everyone, new member here. Have been an Oakley fan for many years and have owned, bought, sold and traded many for several years (mid 90's). Right now I'm down to 3 pair that I love. Have 2 pair of older M Frames with many different lenses and 1 pair of TENs.

My question for the group is 1 of the older pair of M Frames have wear on the icons and was wondering if I could be pointed in the direction of removal for refinish or replacement. I wore this pair alot with ball caps so the paint is kind of worn off. I've been told you can run them under hot water then pluck/pick them off? Also, if this is true, do the ear pieces come off? If so, how or do I need to remove the ear pieces to do this? The frames are in really good shape and they are the chrome, which I don't want to screw up.

Thanks in advance for the help and thanks for having me.

-Landon

The icons are glued on with an adhesive, warm with a blow dryer for 30 seconds or so.

Take a Pin or sewing needle and GENTLY pry up around the edges of the icon.

Don't fall to temptation of prying one end up and trying to rip the icon out. The icon is metal and will bend, or the adhesive will separate. Just work your way slowly around the outside edge until it starts to lift out.

Continue to use the pin to lift away at the icon. It's attached with "booger glue" so make sure that it comes with the icon and does not remain stuck to the frame.

Now that the icon is off, stick it to a piece of wax paper and move on to the next icon or move it to the glasses you want these icons to stick on, you can repeat this procedure two or three times or until the glue dries up.

i have many new icons sets for m frame (gunmetal ) color , let me know if you still ned it

Back