• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

on water glasses

cory

Oakley Beginner
Hey all. I'm new to the forum and probably doing too much research on my next pair of sunglasses. I came across this forum and thought I might get a more straight answer here.

This summer I will be on the water (salt water) a lot of the time. I was looking at the Crankshaft due to its overall eye coveragd but became overwhelmed with the lens options. I know I want polarized but what is Prizm, Maritime, Iridium and any other lens option that I am missing? I want eye fatigue to a minimum and max protection.

i have read on other sitex where Costas and Maui's are the best for what I am seeking but I can't part with that kind of money.

What can you recommend?

Thank you

Easy Water Jacket ? :p

You can Photocromatic lenses :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I just use the darkest full coverage polarised lens I have. More coverage the better imo.

By "on the water", don't know if you mean like on a boat where you remain relatively dry or doing watersports where you get pretty wet. That can make a difference with your frame choice.

But for lens options, Deep Water Prizm is the way to go. Prizm is a new tech Oakley released last year where they're able to fine-tune the spectrum filtered by the lenses to create lenses optimized for certain specific activities (though many of us have used them for activities other than their stated purpose).

The Deep Water Prizm version has received pretty much universal acclaim on this forum, and in my own personal experience I recommend them as well.

You'll be hard-pressed to find much love for Costa or Maui Jim here. Though buying Oakley isn't exactly the economy option, in comparison.

I think you'll be happy with the Deep Water Prizm, also. I have the Shallow version and absolutely love them...but if I were going to be on water in full sun, all day, I'd want the Deep water for the lower light transmission.
kronin is one of the resident lens data/stat gurus. He can explain the why...but I'll just say I am impressed with Prizm. I want to try them all. I have another pair with Prizm lenses on the way. Hope to get the Deep water soon.
Good luck on your search! This is a great place to do some digging.
DB

Maui Jim and Costa arent the best for ANYTHING. Had multiple pairs of each. Underwhelming at best.

Wow. Thanks for all the quick replys! I intend to wear them on the boat in bright light (dry conditions). So, Prizm, polarized is concencus.

Thnk you!

Wow. Thanks for all the quick replys! I intend to wear them on the boat in bright light (dry conditions). So, Prizm, polarized is concencus.

Thnk you!

That's Prizm Deep Water. There's also a Prizm Shallow Water (and a number of other Prizms). Both are polarized but we're recommending the Deep version for your needs.

Back