• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

One Pair Per Model Rule. Any Followers?

Razerwire

And then there was X...
Falls Church, VA
Am I the only person on here that doesn't care much for the Radar? Or Holbrook? Or Frogskin? I think I am. LOL

I dunno. Something about those three models that just doesn't do it for me. Personal taste definitely is a factor as everyone has different ones. That and the fact that they look terrible on me. LOL

I think another part of the reason is because there's like a million versions of them. I think I'm developing a "one pair per model rule." Should save me lots of cash. :p

Anyone else have rules like that to prevent themselves from overspending?

@Razerwire Your not the only one dude. I don't know that much about frogs, or hollbrooks. I can't see myself wearing them, even though I tried them on. I don't wear radars but I have a 2 pairs because they were rare. I would use them for trading. As for overspending, I can't provide any help with that!!!!!!

Where were you will that five years ago! That would have saved me tons of money!! All kidding aside, I have never been a big fan of Frogskins or Holbrooks. The Radar has started to grow on me lately, that could be trouble. Unfortunately, I have no rules to control overspending, so I can be of no help there!

Being a big holbrook/frogskins collector, I will give my 2 cents. I like the frogskins because I still remember them growing up, and they are really fashionable. Don't get me wrong, I love oakley for their aggressive styles, but those aggressive styles don't suit an everyday pair a lot of times. Yes there are a ton of frogskins colorways, but that is what makes them collectible and unique. They are also neck-breakers and good conversation starters :p. The holbrook is an evolution to the frogskins which is why I am also a big fan. To each his own really, but that's what's good about Oakley...they can adapt to everyone's own, unique tastes.

well, i tried i have the "one pair per model" rule in the beginning as well, before i decided to complete the artist series, and when that was done, i went into frogs quite heavily, and then the Brooks, before getting into xmetals and wires. i think that's the wonder that is Oakley. there is always something for everyone. i think frogs will always have that nostalgic feel/value to them, with most things retro being the "in thing" nowadays, and the holbrook being the more updated and aggressive younger sibling. so as you can see, the one pair per model ideal went out the window pretty quickly. haha!

i think i'm the opposite of most that have commented on this thus far: the frogs and Brooks seem to suit me better than the Radars and JBs etc.

bottomline: i love all thing Oakley, just some more than others. =) and the "one pair per model" ideology? takes a lot of willpower to pull off! i know i failed relatively quickly. haha!

Being a big holbrook/frogskins collector, I will give my 2 cents. I like the frogskins because I still remember them growing up, and they are really fashionable. Don't get me wrong, I love oakley for their aggressive styles, but those aggressive styles don't suit an everyday pair a lot of times. Yes there are a ton of frogskins colorways, but that is what makes them collectible and unique. They are also neck-breakers and good conversation starters :p. The holbrook is an evolution to the frogskins which is why I am also a big fan. To each his own really, but that's what's good about Oakley...everyone can adapt to everyone's own, unique tastes.
That's like G1 collectors for Transformers. Totally understandable either way. It's a matter of personal tastes, nostalgia, sentimental value, etc.

If they were to ever make a Holbrook/Radar/Frogskin that would look good on me, I'd definitely be interested in buying but I'd have to keep to my one pair per model rule. Although I must say that I've had that mantra for my toy collection but I've definitely broken the rules on a number of occasions. The good thing is those occasions are few and far between usually. LOL

well, i tried i have the "one pair per model" rule in the beginning as well, before i decided to complete the artist series, and when that was done, i went into frogs quite heavily, and then the Brooks, before getting into xmetals and wires. i think that's the wonder that is Oakley. there is always something for everyone. i think frogs will always have that nostalgic feel/value to them, with most things retro being the "in thing" nowadays, and the holbrook being the more updated and aggressive younger sibling. so as you can see, the one pair per model ideal went out the window pretty quickly. haha!

i think i'm the opposite of most that have commented on this thus far: the frogs and Brooks seem to suit me better than the Radars and JBs etc.

bottomline: i love all thing Oakley, just some more than others. =) and the "one pair per model" ideology? takes a lot of willpower to pull off! i know i failed relatively quickly. haha!
You bring up an excellent point with the nostalgia on Frogskins. For me, I didn't know about them until recently. I never really paid much attention to Oakley during their early years which is why I don't feel attached to that stuff whereas the wires and X-Metals do since it was during that time that Oakley got my attention.

Being a big holbrook/frogskins collector, I will give my 2 cents. I like the frogskins because I still remember them growing up, and they are really fashionable. Don't get me wrong, I love oakley for their aggressive styles, but those aggressive styles don't suit an everyday pair a lot of times. Yes there are a ton of frogskins colorways, but that is what makes them collectible and unique. They are also neck-breakers and good conversation starters :p. The holbrook is an evolution to the frogskins which is why I am also a big fan. To each his own really, but that's what's good about Oakley...everyone can adapt to everyone's own, unique tastes.

Well said!

That's like G1 collectors for Transformers. Totally understandable either way. It's a matter of personal tastes, nostalgia, sentimental value, etc.=QUOTE]

That is an excellent comparison! Your toy collection is pretty beast man! I get what you're saying though, the look/fit of frogskins are a tad weird and don't suit a lot of people's faces. I have never even tried on a pair of radars so I don't know how those fit. The one pair/one model rule is so tough to follow with Oakleys!

When i realized i was starting to become a collector, i said i'd like to own one pair of each model that i could wear. Then the Splice came out and i couldn't live with just one.

Currently i have 2 Pit Boss, 2 X Metal XX, 2 Juliets, 3 Splice, 6 Monster Dog, 2 Jupiter, 2 E-Wire, and 3 Flak Jackets. And guess what, i'm probably going after more! There's just too many cool colorways to pick just one.

Back