• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

One Thing I Have Noticed On This Forum....

I hear ya stevan5150, but I'm not sure how many vintage or long time collectors are here on the boards? I know I have been collecting since the Eyeshade and I actually wore them. There are occasional questions on the vintage stuff, what model and stuff of that nature, but your right most of the talk is usually geared toward the newer and upcoming stuff. I love the older stuff, which is what got me hooked in the first place. The early stuff can't be beat with it's over the top styling and outrageous colors.
I know man, I love the whole jacket line and finding anything for them is very slim on here,I wonder what the average age of
members here Is and maybe it's due to younger collectors.....

I love the old skool stuff...but not really into collecting it. Don't get me wrong I would love to get a pair of Razor Blade or early edition Eye Jackets....but that is about it. For the amount of money the old/vintage stuff is going for....I would rather spend the same amount on a new style.

I would leave the forum just as it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yeh we'll see how it goes. I mean we usually don't make a sub forum unless there is content for it. I.e There was a decent amount of frogskins stuff on here already when we decided to make the area. This way we aren't just creating sub-forums and no one uses them. The frogskin area has been growing slow, but growing none the less. Slowly but surely I have noticed a lot of frogskin collectors joining the forum lately and that area has become more and more active.

I think vintage Oakley's are awesome, but I'd say 75% of Oakley owners aren't collectors and definitely aren't interested in vintage pairs they just care about blocking the sun and have an occasional question on here and enjoy seeing other peoples Oakleys. The other 25% are hardcore collectors, but collectors are interested in rare limited edition pairs which are all recent. Early Oakley didn't have a lot of special/limited editions. So most peoples collections may have a few pairs of vintage Razorblades or Gen 1 Frogskins, but nothing compared to the modern stuff they have.

Feel free to create threads about vintage Oakleys and talk about them, I've seen a few floating on here, and it definitely fits under the Sunglasses Discussion. Its always awesome to see the Early Oakley's and see what shaped the company. If it takes off a lot then we will consider giving it a sub forum.

Thanks, OakleyBoss

i'm a collector since more than 15 years . . .
i own a couple zero´s, old eye jackets, razor blades, first straight jackets and of course some frogs.
hopefully we will see, some threads and pics in the sunglasses discussion area. and over the time maybe we will get a seperat section for that "old" stuff.
tonight i will take a look, which is my oldes model and than i will post some pics :eek:)

So what do you guys consider vintage, because I consider it like Razor Blades, and Early Frogs, but do you guys also consider X-Metals Vintage? Maybe we could create a Vintage/X-Metals Area, because there seems to be a large amount of X-Metal Collectors on here.

I would consider X Metal's vintage now, yes. 2 or 3 years ago before the line was cut down so much no because it seemed a very active line, but now it certainly qualifies. Actually, to me, anything pre 2006 is vintage-Scar, Splice, Plate, Zero, Orignal "New" Straight Jacket-it may not seem like it time wise because that was "only" 5 years ago, but Oakley's drastic shift and emphasis on lifestyle (at the detriment of many other lines IMO) and design philosophy make them vintage if for no other reason that these are models/lines that are a) discontinued and b) hightly sought after and c) have nothing else like them in production

Oh...and in the interest of full disclosure I have a bias when it comes to this because of the 10 Oakley's I currently own (and easily 80% of all I've owned in the past), 8 of them are X Metals. They are the line I've always felt truly separated the company from the pack-they are not just sunglasses but rather jewelry, works of art and exhibitions of scientific technology all rolled into one.

I like the idea. Everyone doesn't have to look at it if they don't want to, right? But it would be nice to have for everyone who would. I don't look at the Frogskin Forum ever, now that I can minimize it. :rolleyes: I think you should seperate a "Vintage" section by decades. Pre 2000, Pre 1990, Pre 1980. Keep it simple. That should cover the "Vintage" stuff :cool:. Just throwin it out there.

Latest Posts

Back