• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Open Shelving - How can you minimise having to clean lenses?

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
All of us know that iridium Oakley lenses can get scratched just by looking at them, let alone regularly cleaning them!!

If you don't have an Oakley/closed display cabinet(s) and would still like to display them, do you have any tricks to minimise having to clean dust off the lenses too often?

I have a bit of a phobia of cleaning lenses with a cloth unless I really really have to, ever since a Malaysian Oakley employee offered to clean my Romeos and literally rubbed so hard that small "pock" marks of iridium rubbed off from both lenses rendering them almost unusable!!!!

Jordan is incredibly dusty.

I was wondering about using a hair dryer on cold air setting to blow off the dust, and even toyed with the idea of using a fine feather duster so there's no pressure on the lens.

I know I'm scrapping the bottom of the barrel and that if I want to display, there is no choice, but to to clean the lenses manually. But I thought I'd ask just in case you guys have some ingenious tricks up your sleeve. Thanks in advance.

I used to have my glasses on the 3-tier stands sitting on a glass tv console that I was using as a shelf...

Worst thing ever...dust is always there, even if you don’t see it or think it’s there...

P.S.
You should be able to run the lens/frame under warm water to get rid of the dust...

I used to have my glasses on the 3-tier stands sitting on a glass tv console that I was using as a shelf...

Worst thing ever...dust is always there, even if you don’t see it or think it’s there...

P.S.
You should be able to run the lens/frame under warm water to get rid of the dust...
Thanks @Litos.

Yeah, I usually just run under tap water and then dab dry with an Oakley cloth. It drives me nuts. I was hoping someone may have found some dust attracting ioniser or something that would work preventatively or a battery operated fan that runs on nuclear power that keeps dust from settling on the lenses!!!

Thanks @Litos.

Yeah, I usually just run under tap water and then dab dry with an Oakley cloth. It drives me nuts. I was hoping someone may have found some dust attracting ioniser or something that would work preventatively or a battery operated fan that runs on nuclear power that keeps dust from settling on the lenses!!!
There was a lady that started an account about 2 years ago simply for the soul purpose of selling an Oakley Case (3.0 I believe) with some type of dehumidifier built in it or something like that to keep dust out...she wanted like a quarter billion dollars for it though and got laughed off of the forum hahaha !!!

Unfortunately, dust is inevitable lol :)

I find that an application once or twice a year of Oakley Hydrophobic solution keeps the dust from clinging beyond needing to be blown off.
These work well too, and keep spit to a minimum...
973ceac7-4736-49e9-80bd-b1943a137d39_1.fae92432bd4782cf69a02862e77c36b3.jpg

All of us know that iridium Oakley lenses can get scratched just by looking at them, let alone regularly cleaning them!!

If you don't have an Oakley/closed display cabinet(s) and would still like to display them, do you have any tricks to minimise having to clean dust off the lenses too often?

I have a bit of a phobia of cleaning lenses with a cloth unless I really really have to, ever since a Malaysian Oakley employee offered to clean my Romeos and literally rubbed so hard that small "pock" marks of iridium rubbed off from both lenses rendering them almost unusable!!!!

Jordan is incredibly dusty.

I was wondering about using a hair dryer on cold air setting to blow off the dust, and even toyed with the idea of using a fine feather duster so there's no pressure on the lens.

I know I'm scrapping the bottom of the barrel and that if I want to display, there is no choice, but to to clean the lenses manually. But I thought I'd ask just in case you guys have some ingenious tricks up your sleeve. Thanks in advance.

If you want them displayed and dust free, do what the model kit owners do: buy craploads of clear plastic boxes and put your sunnies in the box for open shelf display.

Or if you're more engineer minded like myself, modify all the open shelves with glass doors

Latest Posts

Back