• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Opinions on Emerald Slate and Emerald

Clearly one can se the difference in the R1 emerald, vs the Ichiro Juliet and how closely the Ichiro matches the R2 and the Crater. Still maintaining these two are emerald slate and not emerald.🤷🏻‍♂️
I will check my other emeralds and the base color.
e5d8446b-bbc6-44e4-921b-415b4f172724-jpeg.jpg

Another comparison to an Emerald. These just have too much gold or a brown tint to be just regular emeralds.

446b2f94-2484-4469-8399-006dadbc68a5-jpeg.jpg

It is sometimes difficult to tell a lens just by iridium alone. The earlier Emerald lenses tended to be a cross between gold and green and got more green as the years went by. Then there is also batch variation for most lenses as well. Less so with most iridiums compared to fire and Ruby but quite a lot of colors are subject to it.

as for whether you have Emerald or Emerald Slate on the Mars and R2, you would probably be the best to judge since you see it in person, but it looks like Emerald to me. Emerald and Emerald Slate have over 10% difference in rate of light transmission so they are usually very easy to tell apart just by how much light they would let in.

Clearly one can se the difference in the R1 emerald, vs the Ichiro Juliet and how closely the Ichiro matches the R2 and the Crater. Still maintaining these two are emerald slate and not emerald.🤷🏻‍♂️
I will check my other emeralds and the base color.
View attachment 918063

Agree with @Oakley G in this pic you have, (top to bottom) Newer Emerald, Older Emerald/slate. Older Emerald, older emerald with possibly a darker gold hue (also accentuated by the carbon frame)

I checked all my other emeralds, free lens and in sunnies, all are a grey to a very very light violet🤷🏻‍♂️
I think on the prototypes the lens are in part, part of the experimental glasses and process and to assume only the Juliet is Emerald slate, thats a huge leap. You as well as myself have no real idea what they are, but am waiting on clarification.

It is sometimes difficult to tell a lens just by iridium alone. The earlier Emerald lenses tended to be a cross between gold and green and got more green as the years went by. Then there is also batch variation for most lenses as well. Less so with most iridiums compared to fire and Ruby but quite a lot of colors are subject to it.

as for whether you have Emerald or Emerald Slate on the Mars and R2, you would probably be the best to judge since you see it in person, but it looks like Emerald to me. Emerald and Emerald Slate have over 10% difference in rate of light transmission so they are usually very easy to tell apart just by how much light they would let in.
The Ichiro, certainly one can almost see the eyes, depending on a few factors. The other two not so much.

So I received confirmation from the source. They are a slate base. They were experimenting with expanding the emerald slate line.

Latest Posts

Back