• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Opinions please!

To this date I am the only one to provide actual examples of what the Under 5k Serialized Ruby Lenses look like. No other Ruby lenses have compared to it. My serial is way below 5k and the lenses are New never worn.
Great lenses for sure. But the specific number (<5000) still has a whiff of 'if something is repeated often enough, it will become common knowledge' about it. 5000 seems big for a single run of lenses and your serial is well under 5000 - from that, I get a statement more like "The earliest lenses are better than later lenses and within the first 5000 there is a batch that seems best of all". To say all those 5000 are the best, or that any pair under 5000 will be equally great, feels a bit too much like extrapolation for me to be comfortable with.

"To this date I am the only one to provide actual examples of what the Under 5k Serialized Ruby Lenses look like." - the analyst in me definitely needs a bigger sample size!

I think we can agree yours are great examples of ruby lenses, but personally I can't make the stretch to <5000 serials were the best without it feeling a bit too much like received knowledge. It could be that, after a bunch more investigation and analysis, I could be but it doesn't look like we have the material to do that, unless there is a great hidden stash somewhere (I wish). I encountered similar things in researching watches, where records are often even less complete and for me it often still comes down to how confident someone is in expressing an opinion rather than always being able to deal in absolute facts.

We've heard that the process changed in terms of reducing the "bake time" to increase throughput, meaning that later lenses got less red. I can buy that, it makes sense in what I see. But, as to the exact point that happened, do we know?

Interesting discussion to me, this one. Thanks.

Great lenses for sure. But the specific number (<5000) still has a whiff of 'if something is repeated often enough, it will become common knowledge' about it. 5000 seems big for a single run of lenses and your serial is well under 5000 - from that, I get a statement more like "The earliest lenses are better than later lenses and within the first 5000 there is a batch that seems best of all". To say all those 5000 are the best, or that any pair under 5000 will be equally great, feels a bit too much like extrapolation for me to be comfortable with.

"To this date I am the only one to provide actual examples of what the Under 5k Serialized Ruby Lenses look like." - the analyst in me definitely needs a bigger sample size!

I think we can agree yours are great examples of ruby lenses, but personally I can't make the stretch to <5000 serials were the best without it feeling a bit too much like received knowledge. It could be that, after a bunch more investigation and analysis, I could be but it doesn't look like we have the material to do that, unless there is a great hidden stash somewhere (I wish). I encountered similar things in researching watches, where records are often even less complete and for me it often still comes down to how confident someone is in expressing an opinion rather than always being able to deal in absolute facts.

We've heard that the process changed in terms of reducing the "bake time" to increase throughput, meaning that later lenses got less red. I can buy that, it makes sense in what I see. But, as to the exact point that happened, do we know?

Interesting discussion to me, this one. Thanks.

100% dead on the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think there is a definitive answer and there is likely no way of finding out exactly and even comparing. The Largest issue is the color in the lens. There just are not enough examples out there to get pictures of. All that can be definitively said is: In the beginning...... there was a deep purple face in the center of Ruby lenses. How many produced no one knows but likely very few. Due to the release of the X Metal Juliet way back then, no one knew they would be valuable and in 1999 $300 for a pair was very expensive. So likely most if not all were worn, scratched, and only a lucky few got put on a shelf or buried in a box. I would love to see more of this lens. But, I just haven't. Every one of the lenses that people have said "I have a 1st gen Ruby lens" turn out NOT to be that batch. Really bad with eBay. So we are likely never to find out, but with the picture I provided we can at least correct and show what they are. Until someone shows up with a darker than my pic Ruby Lens, then maybe that could just be the example to go by. Yes the lenses are safely tucked away in a bag in a box Deep in a cabinet. Frame serial is X1005. Hope this adds to the discussion

I believe using the Mars lenses as the benchmark for what the 1st gen Ruby lenses are it's best way out.
As far as I know, there are no 2nd generation Mars Ruby lenses!
That's also how I concluded one of my Juliets really has 1st generation on them (besides the fact also that I got them in the early 2000's) and with it I compared all my other Ruby lenses.

I had personal pms with forum members on here with sub 5k xmetals after I posted I had xserail juliets. theres are like yours but more purple most Likley do to inside and flash of taken pic .. Not sure why but some people don't like to publicly share there stuff.

I had personal pms with forum members on here with sub 5k xmetals after I posted I had xserail juliets. theres are like yours but more purple most Likley do to inside and flash of taken pic .. Not sure why but some people don't like to publicly share there stuff.

Lighting makes all the difference, A pic in the shade or on a semi cloudy day will show the colors the best. Nothing inside (daylight non using) will show correct pics. The OP's pictures in his cabinet look awesome, but again thats inside with inside lighting and doesn't show the exact colors on the lens. For the most part that is how ALL the pictures on ebay and previous forum pics are. That is why 2 years ago I used that outside pic showing exact. Also the debate on Pos Red was used for that purpose also. Many members say they have these, but till now I don't think anyone has showed them and pictured correctly to "verify". For whatever reason it seems the real ones don't get shown, IF they are actually real. I know plenty of owners with lower than 5k serial that have the Best Ruby lenses they can find put in them to replace whatever was in the frame when they got it. Then they say they have real ones or deep ruby ones because they found decent purple ones. Hope all that makes sense. What we are dealing with for the Rubies is a highly sought after color way of lenses, that there are no real examples of to compare too. You have people going to stores looking through every Juliet lens they have to find the one with the most purple in it, people buying lenses due to pictures on eBay and then returning them when they get them and find out they are Fruby, and then people taking pictures in their best lighting to show how purple or dark theirs are to either say they have the dark ruby or to get more when selling. This is true with any highly sought after items. I feel very lucky myself to have these, and until there is an example of one better this is the one to judge all others by. Like I said, I didnt pay high for these, just got lucky in a purchase, but now who knows the value. I guess its as much as a person would pay, but again who knows.

My serial is X022*** and it has 1st Gen rubies. And I know the difference between all because I've had many pairs from different gens and they all had differences but the ones I currently have look identical to middle the ones in the pic. :idk:

My serial is X022*** and it has 1st Gen rubies. And I know the difference between all because I've had many pairs from different gens and they all had differences but the ones I currently have look identical to middle the ones in the pic. :idk:

Thats great!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, we know at least from one member to another have some confirmation of the color we have been talking about. We also know that these came from lower numbered serials.

My suggestion is to keep the X serial pair, wear them (BUT NOT using those lenses. At least you said they are 8.5/10 so keep them that way and put in another set to scratch. This way you win in both situations.

I have owned numerous x serial Ruby Juliets, mostly with serials in the aforementioned 2***** range and have found the levels of purple depth to vary greatly. Even numbers very close together have proved drastically different. In my early collecting days, and having 2 complete sets already, I aquired a low x serial frame, the number of which I cannot recall, but it was low and to the best of my knowledge I would say was well under 5k. The frame had small marks and indescrepancies all over. Nothing serous, but I was so used to seeing my pristine 2 that coupled with a set of lenses in there which were beaten, I decided to move them on. The lenses in this pair were scratched beyond anything, and we're peeling from the inside which I also at this point had not seen before. However, I very nearly retained them due to the depth of colour and darkness, but sadly I let them go. The only other lenses that have come close to this pair, were on a set of first gen XM Penny's. They really were darker than hell on a bad day ...
If only I had kept them. 'Face palm'

Just great reading this thread and the level of detail and passion on the topic of Ruby Juliet lenses. With whiskey in hand, I'll sit back and wait for more :)

IH, great if you could re-take that picture but add a true modern day 'Fruby' at far right, followed by a Fire! That would be a complete reference. But doubt you even remember the code for the safe in which your true early Rubys are stashed!

Carrera - are you a professional statistician?

Back