• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Optical inserts for Oakley shield sunglasses

• Thread starter Deleted member 27138
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27138

Hello guys, I'm new to the forum.
I currently have a pair of non prescription Flak Jacket XLJ sunglasses and my main glasses are Blenders with prescription. Now I'm looking for prescription glasses for Sports like Running, Fitness, Skateboarding, Biking etc., because my Blenders are greatday to day glasses, but they don't perform that great in sports. I don't really feel comfortable with contacts anymore, which is why my Flak Jackets barely see any use. I discovered this video on youtube:
I think this a really cool solution, because I could have clear lenses for an M2 for example for cloudy days, or night runs and some sunglass lenses with this adapter without paying like 500€. And everytime my eyes get a little bit worse and I need new prescriptions, I don't have to get new lenses for my glasses and 2 pairs for my sports sunglasses. I've already talked to my local Oakley optician and he said it is an interesting idea, but could result in some reflections between the rx insert and the actual glasses. The adapter only costs me 40€ and the lenses would be 180€ for both. I also could use them as day to day sunglasses. I already searched the forum, but the only optical adapter from Oakley is the bulky black one for the SI goggles and M-Frames.
Now I want to know your guys option on this topic, if you think it could be a good and economical solution for my purpose?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its essentially the opposite of those clip-on sunglasses (Does anyone still wear those?) The problem I see is that you're looking through 2 lenses at one time so I can imagine the distortion you would get from that since your eyes have to adjust to them constantly, which might cause eye fatigue. Also it would need to be very secure just in case you take a baseball or twig to the face, and that clip on comes flying off the back and hitting you in the eye. That would suck. Its an okay concept especially on a budget and does look good though since the actual insert is hidden by the mirror coating.

My optician said that too, but Adidas, Rudy Project and others have similar solutions. And the RX carrier is pretty similar too, it's just straight and not slightly curved like the one in the video. Does anyone with an Rx carrying solution has any problems?

So I just wanted to let you know, that I got this solution with an M2 XL with Prizm Tungsten and and a XL clear shield. It works better than I thought. The eyes need some time to get used to the curved prescription lenses, but I had the same thing when I got my prescription Blenders a couple of years ago. Yes, there are some minor reflections from the TR90 frame of the clip, but nothing that would bother me. The clip stays in place and doesnt moves a all! The adapter seems to be universal, so it should fit in Radars, Evzeros, Jawbreakers etc. You even get it with a rubber nosepiece from for the Radars. So for everyone who is looking for a solution to wear shield lenses with prescription, this works fantastic! Even if you got more than one pair of shield Oakleys, you could use all of them with this little prescription insert. It cost me way less than even one pair of Oakley Rx lenses. And I realy like the new Prizm lenses, the Tungsten ones that I got are far superior to the VR28 Black Iridium Polarized ones from My Flak Jackets. You don't even see the adapter behind the tinted lenses unless you have a light source coming directly from the side of your face. All in all, happy with this solution.
Best regards

Last edited by a moderator:

On ebay, the seller is from Korea. I like it a lot, use my M2 as daily sunglasses now, as well as glasses for sports. At night you can have some reflections, but I don't mind.

View attachment 646557View attachment 646558
View attachment 646559View attachment 646560

So I just wanted to let you know, that I got this solution with an M2 XL with Prizm Tungsten and and a XL clear shield. It works better than I thought. The eyes need some time to get used to the curved prescription lenses, but I had the same thing when I got my prescription Blenders a couple of years ago. Yes, there are some minor reflections from the TR90 frame of the clip, but nothing that would bother me. The clip stays in place and doesnt moves a all! The adapter seems to be universal, so it should fit in Radars, Evzeros, Jawbreakers etc. You even get it with a rubber nosepiece from for the Radars. So for everyone who is looking for a solution to wear shield lenses with prescription, this works fantastic! Even if you got more than one pair of shield Oakleys, you could use all of them with this little prescription insert. It cost me way less than even one pair of Oakley Rx lenses. And I realy like the new Prizm lenses, the Tungsten ones that I got are far superior to the VR28 Black Iridium Polarized ones from My Flak Jackets. You don't even see the adapter behind the tinted lenses unless you have a light source coming directly from the side of your face. All in all, happy with this solution.
Best regards
Where did you get this solution and do they do highish prescriptions? Please share the link #helpabroout

Can you repost your photos of the TR90 installed? The link doesn't work anymore. Also, where did you get the TR90 and is this a universal clip? I see it on eBay but they name of other styles of glasses than the M2 XL.
Thanks,
Scott

Latest Posts

Back