• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ordered Deep Water Prizm Lenses and It's Like I Received Kaleidoscope Lenses Instead

SnookerHooker

Oakley Beginner
Illinois
Hi all. I bought brand new split shots with the Deep Water lenses from a buyer off ebay. Paid $110... I couldn't pass up trying them out for this price. They weren't allowing my local retailers to allow us to try them on because of covid. So I had to order online. I come from using strictly Costas that just didn't breathe too well and fogged up too much when I sweat. These frames appear to breathe better.

From the way they look, they're authentic. I doubt the Chinese have figured out how to make fake Woodgrain Split Shots yet. These are just too nice to be fake... Quality frames with a quality lanyard and case as expected. That seems like too much for them to want to replicate. The only thing that makes me think fake is the lenses are absolutely horrible.

They reflect so bad on the back side that I can see the whites of my eyes clearly and even see my iris and pupil at times. The whites of my eyes give the illusion that the lenses are dirty or foggy when they're actually crystal clear and clean.

The worst thing is when I look at something like car tail lights, a sunset, street lights, etc.. For each eye open, I see an additional faint image off to the side or above/ below that original light. Two eyes create two additional images. It's like a kaleidoscope! Drives me nuts.

I tried cupping the sides to block out light from the sides and learned that's not the issue. They fit well. The problem as far as I can tell is that the back side of the lenses is waaaay too reflective.

Did Oakley make a bad batch of lenses and they ended up as "seconds" on ebay? It's like they mirrored the back side of these lenses or forget to apply an anti reflective coating.

I didn't buy these from an authorized dealer. The guy I bought them from supposedly got them from dealers while he was doing salt water fishing tournaments in the Florida Gulf. After I bought them, He posted 3 more of the same glasses. All clearly brand new. Why would a dude have that many pairs of new/ wrapped sunglasses for sale? But they look real. I'll post images or a link soon for your all's opinions.

I'm probably on my own and Oakley wont help me. Can I get different lenses to fix the issue? I fish primarily fresh water for Musky and Bass up North, but figured I'd try the Deep Water lenses for when down in Florida. I'm not married to the Deep Water lenses is my point. I even have a very slight prescription and I suppose I could go that route.

I'd appreciate all your thoughts. Sorry so lengthy of a post. Just want to be clear. Trying to nail down perfect sunglasses for fishing 20+ hours a week... gotta protect these aging eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. I bought brand new split shots with the Deep Water lenses from a buyer off ebay. Paid $110... I couldn't pass up trying them out for this price. They weren't allowing my local retailers to allow us to try them on because of covid. So I had to order online. I come from using strictly Costas that just didn't breathe too well and fogged up too much when I sweat. These frames appear to breathe better.

From the way they look, they're authentic. I doubt the Chinese have figured out how to make fake Woodgrain Split Shots yet. These are just too nice to be fake... Quality frames with a quality lanyard and case as expected. That seems like too much for them to want to replicate. The only thing that makes me think fake is the lenses are absolutely horrible.

They reflect so bad on the back side that I can see the whites of my eyes clearly and even see my iris and pupil at times. The whites of my eyes give the illusion that the lenses are dirty or foggy when they're actually crystal clear and clean.

The worst thing is when I look at something like car tail lights, a sunset, street lights, etc.. For each eye open, I see an additional faint image off to the side or above/ below that original light. Two eyes create two additional images. It's like a kaleidoscope! Drives me nuts.

I tried cupping the sides to block out light from the sides and learned that's not the issue. They fit well. The problem as far as I can tell is that the back side of the lenses is waaaay too reflective.

Did Oakley make a bad batch of lenses and they ended up as "seconds" on ebay? It's like they mirrored the back side of these lenses or forget to apply an anti reflective coating.

I didn't buy these from an authorized dealer. The guy I bought them from supposedly got them from dealers while he was doing salt water fishing tournaments in the Florida Gulf. After I bought them, He posted 3 more of the same glasses. All clearly brand new. Why would a dude have that many pairs of new/ wrapped sunglasses for sale? But they look real. I'll post images or a link soon for your all's opinions.

I'm probably on my own and Oakley wont help me. Can I get different lenses to fix the issue? I fish primarily fresh water for Musky and Bass up North, but figured I'd try the Deep Water lenses for when down in Florida. I'm not married to the Deep Water lenses is my point. I even have a very slight prescription and I suppose I could go that route.

I'd appreciate all your thoughts. Sorry so lengthy of a post. Just want to be clear. Trying to nail down perfect sunglasses for fishing 20+ hours a week... gotta protect these aging eyes.
Considering it each part was manufactured in China, and was assembled in the states. Courtesy of Luxottica 😕

what is funny about this to me is that none of my many deep water polar pairs do the ghosting/kaleidoscope issue he is talking about with lights, but my one pair of Costa Rincon's with blue 580g lenses do horribly. all car lights are like seeing double. deep water polars do reflect light on the back side some though. not enough to bother me, and i for sure don't get the kaleidoscope effect on lights ever like i do with the Costas.

i'm not sure where in Illinois you are located, but the Oakley Vault store is open in Aurora if you want to compare them to other deep water polar lenses that are guaranteed to be authentic.

hi,
now you mention I know were to look at... ;) :rolleyes:
I've just done tests with all my sunglasses looking in a flashlight and in the chandelier.
I think depends on the shape of the lens (wrap around), mirror coating, lack of antiglare inside coating, and polarized or not.

all develop one reflection from each eyeball (but not a caleidoscope) each bulb (light source).
in order:
1. no reflection at all - my reading glasses Zeiss lenses antiglare coated both sides
2. almost no reflection - Prizm Road Black (Flight Jacket) - has no mirror coating
3. is there but barely seen - Prizm Tungsten Polarized (carbon blade) no mirror coating and double toric lenses
4. is there to some degree - Prizm Deep Water Polarized (flight jacket), POC Clarity Zeiss (crave model) Violet, Brown, Light Brown all Silver mirror
5. is there more visible than 4. and in a proud "torch" color - Prizm Trail Torch (flight jacket)
6. almost the same reflection as the bulb itself - POC clear lens and Rudy Project laser red photochromic (defender) - possible no antiglare coating at all.

4-5 are not annoying, to some degree 5-6.
anyway, we do not use these in this condition very often.

I'm impressed by Prizm Road Black! :cool-20:

just me,
have a good one!

You dangerously underestimate Chinese capabilities...

posting pictures will help

My pics. Last pic shows nasty reflection of back side of the lens. I posted a lot of details and pics for the next guy to identify if his is fake or not... And to maybe save him from buying these and being disappointed.

20200903_140714~2.jpg

20200903_140636~2.jpg

20200903_140652~2.jpg

20200903_140724~2.jpg

20200903_140906~2.jpg

20200903_140847~2.jpg

20200903_140906~2.jpg

20200903_140824~2.jpg

Latest Posts

Back