• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Original Racing Jacket fit?

Came across this thread because I'm selling some water jacket parts here ( http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/...-jacket-livestrong-rubbers.67607/#post-822510 ), but thought I'd just answer these questions in case someone else wants the info! :)

How is the fit (tight/loose) - suits bigger head or slimmer face?

The design of the original RJ is a monocoque design (single piece, no hinges) and because of that, the polycarbonate frame is able to flex outwards depending on the size of the head. Additionally, the RJ arms are a little bit longer than standard sunglass arms (due to the curvature of the front of the frame), and that, coupled with the long ear rubbers help maintain a good grip. I have a pretty fat Asian head and they sit comfortably and even violent shaking of the head would still make it difficult to lose them. The same generation water jackets (almost exactly the same, but with a different one piece nose bomb and a built in strap connecting longer ear rubbers) have a built in strap which further decreases the chance of loss during watersports or skiing etc.

- Do they sit securely or do they bounce if you do sports?
They seem to sit very securely, particularly if you have the water jacket version (because of the strap at the back). Please note, that if your head has a circumference at the widest point of your forehead of 59 cm or more, even with the strap undone to the max, it will NOT fit over your head. I know, because I own a pair. And my head is that big.

- How is the quality of the nose pieces?
Both the water jacket (single nosepiece) and the racing jacket (standard R + L nose bombs) are pretty good, but I actually find that the water jacket nose bomb is more comfortable due to the rubber quality which is softer and has a more even spread (at least, on my nose)

- How is the field of vision considering the full frame?
Excellent, but not as good as Radars, or Jawbones or the new Eye jackets or old M-frames. Downward vision is quite good because the height of the lens is excellent. You'll find that your field of vision is slightly limited if the lenses are vented, but this is no different to the newer racing jackets or older jawbones.

Hello there. In my opinion 220 shipped within US would be a fair price. You may find those particular glasses listed at 350$ on ebay but listing and selling are two different issues :) My friend was looking for them some time ago and he might be interested in them but I don't know exactly. You still need 13 more posts and some time period I believe to get access into exchange thread and sell them on forum :)
By the way your glasses are 2nd generation RJs called PRO to be exact. First gen had the same style yet were bigger.
Slightly off topic here, but you obviously know your stuff. Can you tell me what the value is of an Oakley first generation Racing Jacket with Dark Chrome frame and G30 iridium lenses? I don't have the box, but the glasses are in excellent condition. Never worn. One tiny imperfection on right lens (imperfectly transported). I'd really appreciate your feedback.
Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing - these are the glasses.
Hi
I noticed your enquiry about racing jackets. I own a 1st generation Oakley racing jackets, non-folding with non-vented lens. The frame is electric blue
and the lens are a light blue. The lenses have a few hairline marks but vision is not affected and there are no scratches. They are in very good condition.
What do you think they are worth? Did you sell yours? Thankyou

Latest Posts

Back