• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Original Twenty Lenses

OldSchoolHybrid

Oakley Expert
Cornfield, IL
2 part question for those in the know........
1.) Can Flak 2.0 lenses be cut to fit the original Twenty?
2.) What lenses (since the standard and Polarized are 2 different thicknesses) can be used to make a snug fit in an original Twenty that came with Polarized lenses in them?

3.)Bonus question - This involves original Minutes - Were there slight variations in lens thickness in the original minutes? I did a lens swap many moons ago with a Pearl Blue minute and 1 of the frames with a flower on it. The frame with the flower I gave to my sister in law. The Pearl Blue pair have sat on a shelf for the past 15 years. The lens isn't snug in the frame. It isn't loose as if it'll fall out, but it isn't factory tight either. So was there a variation?

Im not aware of variations in lens thickness however in some of the early frames depending on the finish of the frame the lenses could be slightly different in diameter.

2.) What lenses (since the standard and Polarized are 2 different thicknesses) can be used to make a snug fit in an original Twenty that came with Polarized lenses in them?

3.)Bonus question - This involves original Minutes - Were there slight variations in lens thickness in the original minutes? I did a lens swap many moons ago with a Pearl Blue minute and 1 of the frames with a flower on it. The frame with the flower I gave to my sister in law. The Pearl Blue pair have sat on a shelf for the past 15 years. The lens isn't snug in the frame. It isn't loose as if it'll fall out, but it isn't factory tight either. So was there a variation?

1. Most likely and possibly not polar. I don’t have any flak 2.0 lenses to check for sure.
2. If polar lenses are thicker, we’re talking tens/hundredths of a mm? Never heard of polar being thicker anyway. Maybe you’re thinking of Rx lenses?
3. There wasn’t variations of thickness for minute lenses that I’m aware of, BUT they did make a smaller diameter cut for the fmj frames to help prevent chipping the finish on the orbitals when swapping lenses. Some old lens sets were specified as “large” and “small”

Yes, XX twenty can be cut from Flak 2.0 but you will need non-polarized donors as you need to rotate the lens to accommodate the width of the lens.

Are you talking about the minute lenses?
The pearl blue minute I have is less noticeable than the difference between the polar and non polar twenty. I haven't owned many minute pairs so I'm not real familiar with them. I currently own a twenty in matte black twenty polar and si polar and each has a thicker lens gap than my regular twenty pairs.

Latest Posts

Back