• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Original X-metal coatings - what are they?

EffectorT

Oakley Enthusiast
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer. Does anyone in here know what the main original coatings on X-metals are? Polished is easy. Carbon looks like paint/anodization.. The 2 most intriguing ones are plasma and X-metal. Is X-metal just porous Ti alloy, i.e. base metal made somewhat porous to look matte? What's plasma? Anodization? I'm really curious.

X metal is an aluminum oxide sandblasting .plasma is softer blasting media.and carbon is an anodized process.

Plasma varied from generation. 1st generation was a very thick coating that would corrode. 2nd gen was a thin pvd like coating that would turn gold over time. 3rd gen was another type of coating. And I think 4th and 5th were bare titanium.

Xm as well. Seems the earlier ones were darkened somehow. They were a mix of blasted and something else. Haven't exactly figured it out. The later gen xm appeared to be just blasted.