• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Original X-metal Ruby Juliet

1) Exactly how many 1st Gen X-metal/Ruby JULIET were made? 5000 or more?

Well considering you have 12308 and I have 24559, i'm sure there are more than 5000 out there.

Yeah, I think so, too...Maybe those ones within 5000 are from the fist batch.

How about the rumor I mentioned? Do U have any idea if it's true or not?
From what I know, the guy called "Oakley Custom Maniac" have a batch of lenses for JULIET in later 2009 which is as good as it can be just like those 1st Gen deep red/purple ruby, and it's hydrophobic coated! So I guess this rumor is probably true?

My big worry is that when I get replacement lenses, they won't be this same color shading... I don't like how I have seen some ruby lately that is close to fire and I don't like that.

I saw your Pictures today...They are not that deep red/purple. the one from Funky-Trixtar is one badass ruby, which is very hard to come by even back in 1999!
But, a good pair of 1st Gen Ruby JULIET is considered to be almost all deep red with some purple/purple red in the center while only a little orange/yellow at area close to the edge when U place one of the lenses straight toward your vision!
Besides, those authentic 1st Gen ruby (especially the deep red/purple ones) is much hard to find now. Even if U do, usually it'll cost U a lot to get one!
I don't know if my friends still have some spare pair stalled away or not...I guess I'll let U know when I do find one!

It sounds as though you are thinking of the Jordan R1's with the 5000 thing. The Juliets that are apart of the initial run of Xmetal and ruby are all the initial run.

These are indeed true initial run rubys but like you said they aren't a very deep ruby like Funky's, those are awesome! If your friend has some spare lenses that he is willing to sell let me know!

It sounds as though you are thinking of the Jordan R1's with the 5000 thing. The Juliets that are apart of the initial run of Xmetal and ruby are all the initial run.

These are indeed true initial run rubys but like you said they aren't a very deep ruby like Funky's, those are awesome! If your friend has some spare lenses that he is willing to sell let me know!

Got it...I will keep an eye on that for U, but might take some time to actually find a nice pair with a reasonable price consider the exchange rate of US Dollar to Chinese RMB of nowaday!

FYI, they can't make the old Ruby lenses the original way because something like (if memory serves me right)60% of the lenses made through the eight our process were binned due to inconsistences in colour grade: so you're looking at only two-fifths being sold. I'm sure you'll agree, that doesn't make economic sense!

Also they were made to coincide with the release of X-Men and also featured in Blackhawk Down. I also believe they were meant to tie in with Blackhawk Down.......untill it was pointed out there were definite inconsistences in the time that the glasses came out being post Mogadishu by six years! ...so they were pulled from being used under the film tie-in.

1) Exactly how many 1st Gen X-metal/Ruby JULIET were made? 5000 or more?

“1st Gen” is a term coined by scalpers to differentiate variations of ruby so they can sell one more than the other. When the Ruby Juliet first came out, no such thing existed, just batch variations. There were variations of the lenses, but most of them were solid red in the center (not purple and not orange) with the red becoming yellow towards the temple.

Yes, the first 5,000 were released for the X-men movie and were a way to test the market. Oakley was unsure if they wanted to release the Ruby Juilet at first. There was actually a write-in campaign by some fans that eventually swayed Oakley to put them out, and the first run of 5,000 was the result. Naturally, it sold exceedingly well. Part of the reason is because it was originally offered for $300. When the movie can out and when Oakley found out it was costly to make the lenses due to wastage, they upped the price to $400.

So to answer your question, the first 5,000 where released for the X-men movie and was the “first print” of the glasses. Oakley kept producing them because they were so popular.

2) I do hare some rumors that during the period of 2009 with the X-Men Origin - Wolverin hitting the box office, there is a batch of JULIET X-metal/Ruby in new package (new box, new coin design) that has the deep red/purple ruby iridium lenses just like the initial run release to the market! Is that confirmed?!

No Oakley was released for X-men Origins: Wolverine, but there was a re-release of the Ruby Juliet for 2006’s X-men: The Last Stand. Old box, old coin, no serial number, and the lenses tended to be more orange than red.

To this day, there’s a lot of batch variations with the ruby lenses. I’ve seen ruby lenses on the X-Squared that were super deep purple while others are almost identical to the current fire iridium. So, dark ruby lenses are still being made and still out there...you just have to search for them.

“1st Gen” is a term coined by scalpers to differentiate variations of ruby so they can sell one more than the other. When the Ruby Juliet first came out, no such thing existed, just batch variations. There were variations of the lenses, but most of them were solid red in the center (not purple and not orange) with the red becoming yellow towards the temple.

Yes, the first 5,000 were released for the X-men movie and were a way to test the market. Oakley was unsure if they wanted to release the Ruby Juilet at first. There was actually a write-in campaign by some fans that eventually swayed Oakley to put them out, and the first run of 5,000 was the result. Naturally, it sold exceedingly well. Part of the reason is because it was originally offered for $300. When the movie can out and when Oakley found out it was costly to make the lenses due to wastage, they upped the price to $400.

So to answer your question, the first 5,000 where released for the X-men movie and was the “first print” of the glasses. Oakley kept producing them because they were so popular.

No Oakley was released for X-men Origins: Wolverine, but there was a re-release of the Ruby Juliet for 2006’s X-men: The Last Stand. Old box, old coin, no serial number, and the lenses tended to be more orange than red.

To this day, there’s a lot of batch variations with the ruby lenses. I’ve seen ruby lenses on the X-Squared that were super deep purple while others are almost identical to the current fire iridium. So, dark ruby lenses are still being made and still out there...you just have to search for them.
Well mr profile, as a beginner ur look so fantastic with all of ur knowledge, great share. I have 2 pairs of Juliet x serial too, they have a purple hue, different from modern ruby which has orange hue.

Good info!

best we can do make custom cut from hijinx or eyepatch , i know somebody here who can make it 1000 % precision compare to factory O lens

Latest Posts

Back