• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

OverTheTop's Prototypes, early production, etc...

Qtrain. Thank you for the details. I will post these pics anyway, just in case.

These may just be a regular pair and that's exactly the reason I came here for guidance. Thanks everyone for the help. I didn't do enough homework 'search' to know they had multiple generations of OTT's.

Thank you again.

Finish issues next to the lens. Burs on the lips of the holes around the lens.
45f3b0cc-9814-271f.jpg

Burrs.
45f3b0cc-9867-a8cd.jpg

More oddness around the lens.
45f3b0cc-989d-0b75.jpg

Bump under the finish on the nose side of the bridge.
45f3b0cc-98e7-fa69.jpg

Another flaw under the finish.
45f3b0cc-9951-bd15.jpg

First gen OTTs had no padding.

Correct, plus the finish wasn't as refined as the later models.
I talked to a retired Oakley Rep that was with the company for almost 20 years and he told me the main reason for the OTT's was for a conversation piece and a way for the reps to "break the ice" when they were calling on new customers. Certainly makes sense...

If you have the box they are more valuable, but they just Gen 1 OTT's... No price difference that I have ever noticed in sales value, but there are many here who would be interested if you did decide to let them go.....

The finish flaws your seeing is good ol' Full Metal Jacket (aka FMJ) which is a metal-sprayed coating on Oakley O Matter frames.
It has a matte finish and the appearance of real metal. Looks like the person spraying the coating on those got in quite a hurry lol I had flaws on mine as well until i had them repainted professionally. And yes those seem to be 1st generation OTT's due to not having any pads.

All great info guys. Thank you.

I'll lurk around a little longer and gain the rights to access the for sale area. I don't really need another hobby that involves big money to collect. I can tell some of you really appreciate the OTT's and they should be somewhere other than a shelf in a room I don't use.

Big Hank

Back