• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

OXM coupler??

I’ve put his couplers in probably a dozen pairs. I probably still have half of them but don’t wear any enough for the coupler to wear out yet. I can’t imagine they wear out faster than OEM.

hey guys...has anyone completely worn out an OXM flex coupler yet? About how long do they last?

OXM flex couplers are made out of a proprietary blend of pharmaceutical grade rubber to ensure compression & tensile strength without sacrificing longevity. My flex couplers are different than others in the shape w/ a 360° wrap design and compression properties to allow the glasses to flex around your face (hence the name "flex" couplers). Being tight but with compression (flex) is important -- eventually they will form to the unique shape of your face and get even more fitted and comfortable with use while maintaining tightness. This makes glasses be more sticky to your face as they were originally designed to be.

My XX Tio2 were the first pair to be repaired using them -- 2 years ago -- I wear them daily, and they are still tight like new, and have formed to my face so that my glasses fit my face very well. I suggest using size 15 temple shocks with them unless you have a very small head.

TRIMMING: Depends on the frame, and also the age of the frame, especially when it comes to Juliet & XX. Some Juliet require no trimming at all and are completely plug and play. Most require you to trim off the closed end of the flex coupler. I use the "F" as a guide, trimming the flat edge off up to the outer edge of the "F" depending the size of the bridge cavity you are working with. In a few cases I've had to trim off almost all of the "F" (careful not to get in to the cavity as the edge of the "F" is as far as you can go). Some XX require that you cut off part of the front open side, or you can flip the coupler around and it may work. I use really sharp leather shears to cut the rubber then use nail clippers or nail nippers to snip off small slivers as needed. On Penny & Romeo you need to trim off one corner of the open side, and possibly some of the closed end too depending on the frame. Use Purell Gel hand sanitizer for lubrication & testing, measure twice cut once.

One mistake people make in their approach is that they think all X Metal frames are the same... a Juliet is a Juliet right? I can tell you after working on hundreds of frames that each X Metal is unique like a snowflake. A Juliet made in 2000 is different than one made in 2010, up to 1.5mm difference in some places. With that, there is no "one size fits all plug and play" solution for all X Metal glasses. An owner must measure and trim uniquely to fit their frames. A plug and play procuct runs the risk of being small for those "extreme large" frames or too large to fit the "extreme small" frames. I made OXM Flex Couplers so they could be adapted to any frame, with patience & careful trimming.

Also, it's simple, but... must be sure to clean out every speck of old flex coupler out of the bridge cavity. There have been a few times when I thought I had it cleared out, it looked clear, felt clear, then I stick the scraper tool in and realize that there was still a dark flat sliver of rubber left at the bottom that looked like the wall of the cavity. I've found that a small flat head screwdriver tool works great to clean it out. Finish up with a hot ultrasonic bath to get the micro-bits & oils cleared away.

Hope this helps. Soon I'll be building a web page, making videos and also package inserts with information on how to trim the OXM flex couplers properly.

Last edited:
Totally love the fit and feel (and look) of my X metal XX @scienergy refinished and re-bridged. (i know, tuned, lol).atm, loving @Linegear Japan polarized tanzanite lenses too. i think im going to make a review video bc they both are awesome. amazing stuff is to be found on this forum!

IMG_20180607_151311.jpg

@Dukeman24 : whichever the flex coupler you use, our step by step instruction might be of help. With pragmatic thinking in place while making ours, all requires to tune up are seen in the picts....plus a post-it paper put in the middle of pushing tip and the pin to lesson the scratch.

Agreed that xmetal frames do have individual difference, only trim (our flex coupler) for Penny.

Nose Bridge pin, Coupler - LINEGEAR

*they practice because they are the pro, they are pro because they practice* - a Formule One team, can’t remember who to be exact

Latest Posts

Back