• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Painful Moments In Life Of Collecting

I was skateboarding at a local school in '99 and took my pair of FMJ/Ice XX off and set them on a ledge... When I was done skating I just hopped in my car and left.
I forgot my glasses... When I went back an hour later they were gone. I just recently purchased a pair to replace them...

Also just the other night... I was taking my pair of Polished/Blue Irid Juleits apart. I was taking the lenses out and the right one was giving me a hard time.
After I managed to get it out I noticed there was some type of glue that was holding the lens in (I bought these new in '99 and they have never been apart)... After peeling the glue off the lens I realized the the Blue Irid coating was starting to peel at the edges of the lens.
Now I'll have to source a pair of Blue Irid lenses... (not Ice)

Ouch about the c-six! I would cry if that happened to me.
I bought an oakley display case off craigslist for 300 bucks (which i thought was a good deal) only to see someone buy one for 20 bucks on this forum. The sad part was i saw the ad too but i hesitated because i already had a display case- and i thought it had to be a typo!

I was in Austria mountain biking, sat on a bench, light was dimming so it was time to remove the black iridium and pop the high intensity yellow in my splatter Mumbos. Something I'd done loads of times over. As I pulled the lens from the frame it cracked in half at the bridge. :( I'd had those puppies nearly 10 years. Ended up going to the nearest shop and buying my Midnight XX / 24k which i still now wear every day.

I also bought another pair of splatters from ebay a few years later, just so I could have them back in my collection. :D

Here's an all-encompassing worst moment -- seeing all these now elite pairs in the store, way back when, for retail, and not buying a single one? For example, my favorite local surf shop was one of the ten or so to get Pettersens. By local, I mean five minutes by bike. God knows how many they got, but I could have cleaned them out and had the illest collection of Frogs now, but I didn't.

some sad stories here! maybe for me is seeing a pair of romeo 1 on the bay for 120$ with 30 minutes left in the bidding about six months ago.... i waited... waited... and woke up after 2 hours.... slept during that 30 minutes and saw it was sold for 170 bucks!

also watching a listing in ebay, title says "mens sunglasses", the picture is showing an oakley mars...description says nothing about oakley, and the seller is selling multiple items of baby stuff...i was thinking im gonna grab it for a bargain...starting bid is 4.99£ and nobody bids yet...the listing is gonna end at 3pm somewhere, so i was at work and im just gonna pretend to grab some coffee if the listing will end in 5mins or less...to cut it short, i was called by my manager and we have a serious conversation where i cant escape, afterwards i check the listing and it just ended for 4.99£ bid...i did not sleep that night and 3nights after...it even piss the **** out of me just to remember them...try browsing a search engine "sunglasses", a hundreds of listing will come out, just imagine the effort and you will feel what i feel! i hate this thread...lol!

Back