• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Paint Removal

Any idea whether or not this method will remove the original FMJ layer below?
It most likely will. When I soak frames in SuperClean to remove paint, it will loosen up the clear, base coat, and even get into the primer below. FMJ is a very weak coating to begin with, so I doubt there's any way to strip the paint job from it without damaging the FMJ finish. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on that one.

Also, I forgot to mention: don't try Jasco, Aircraft, or any other paint stripper.you find; they will all eat plastic. I've heard of scale modelers using brake fluid to strip paint from plastic, but I wouldn't recommend that route either, as brake fluid is some nasty stuff. Really, SuperClean is the only thing I've found that works, and is relatively safe to use (wear nitrile gloves or similar if you're working with it full strength).

One big issue I have heard of with brake fluid on the automotive side of things if that gets on your vehicle it will strip the paint but soak into the metal and plastic making it almost impossible to get new paint to adhere to the part. From what I have heard the part will need to be steam cleaned just to have a chance of taking new paint.

One big issue I have heard of with brake fluid on the automotive side of things if that gets on your vehicle it will strip the paint but soak into the metal and plastic making it almost impossible to get new paint to adhere to the part. From what I have heard the part will need to be steam cleaned just to have a chance of taking new paint.
I've never tried it myself, but I know some scale modelers use the stuff. The toxicity of the stuff is enough to warrant looking for a better solution.

Latest Posts

Back