• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Paint Stripping

So I have a pair of silver M Frame Pro's and the paint on the inside started flaking off. I've been wanting a pair of black M Frames anyways so I did the dip the frame in boiling water method. I don't have a compressor so I've been using my finger nails and a small chisel like tool to remove the paint. It's pretty messy and very difficult. So I think I'm going to try the paint removing solvent method.

I dropped a pair of Silver Half Jackets into my vat of Super Clean last night. Normally, when I'm stripping my own paint jobs, it takes days to weeks to remove the paint, but I'm usually removing high quality automotive paint/clear (almost exclusively DuPont, PPG, and Nason). I was shocked when I woke up this morning and the Super Clean had bubbled the paint on the Silver frame in less than six hours! 90% of the paint just came off the frame easily with a household toothbrush. I'll have to soak it again to get the hard-to-reach places, but I'm shocked at how quickly the factory paint job came off with Super Clean.

From years of experience with warhammer models... for any type of plastic, the best solution is dot 3 brake fluid. Never anything with acetone in it as it'll eat the plastic. Simple green will work, it just takes forever. With brake fluid, maybe five minutes of soaking, if that.

Back