• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Painted Juliets for 1k+?!

The second earstem from the bottom, kinda an oily blue swirl, looks interesting...

Yep, that was the one that caught my eye too.

That's this one previously posted here: http://www.oakleyforum.com/posts/583360/

Here's a close up
DSC_1757_s copy.jpg

And here's it installed in my newest project that'd be revealed soon... reckon I'll list these for 2k on ebay since they're better 'paint' than the current painted ones on ebay!

DSC_1750_s copy.jpg

That's an awesome anodize job. Is this a service u will be offering?

Yes, it's available at the moment with more crazy finishes that will be unveiled soon. Can be done in different colors as well.

I painted 2 custom frames for someone awhile back and I felt so ashamed like a sinner. Seriously my heart sank painting those 2 custom frames! Still makes me depressed thinking about it! Painting X-Metals is just plain wrong imo.

Nice. Was it an effect you were deliberately aiming for or more of a happy accident?

It's a deliberate attempt after 2-3 experiments. I had this pictured in my mind right from the start, but realizing the dream was an interesting challenge

View attachment 191330[/QUOTE]
I am guessing this is based on anodizing/oxidizing. I have seen this rainbow effect performed on titanium knives. However the process is rather random due to the nature of the heating process. The anodizing process makes this a lot more controlable and uniform (hence the solid colours).

Do your experiments mean that you have managed standardize (as much as you can) the oxidation process through heat?

Nice effect by the way. Love blues and purples.

View attachment 191330
I am guessing this is based on anodizing/oxidizing. I have seen this rainbow effect performed on titanium knives. However the process is rather random due to the nature of the heating process. The anodizing process makes this a lot more controlable and uniform (hence the solid colours).

Do your experiments mean that you have managed standardize (as much as you can) the oxidation process through heat?

Nice effect by the way. Love blues and purples.

That's right - there's a controlled and repeatable process to 'paint' the colors and patterns. There's lots of colors available to play with, including pink, green, blue, purple, yellow, and bronze in various shades. Here's one I did earlier to produce the "stardust" effect

stardust.jpg

I too love the 'rainbow camo' effect, but also believe that X-Metal colourways shouldn't be changed at all............

X-Metals can be refinished back to their original true colorway easily. The only colorway I can't yet refinish with satisfaction is first gen Ti and first gen plasma (they're good enough as a restoration/rejuvenate of existing first gen, but not as a refinish). Anything else including X-Metal grey can be done as a refinish easily.

Back