• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Painted Juliets for 1k+?!

I too love the 'rainbow camo' effect, but also believe that X-Metal colourways shouldn't be changed at all............
I kind of agree with your sentiment. However if they are the worse for wear and need to be re-done at that point I think there is room for this type of change. Anodizing is a property of the X-Metal which is unique, whilst painting (although there are some nice examples out there) can be applied to any frame and hence is nothing special and certainly should not command stupid prices like the ones being asked.

Plating falls into the same category as anodizing to some extent. Some of the copper and gold creations on this site and mixed metal finishes are really nice.

I kind of agree with your sentiment. However if they are the worse for wear and need to be re-done at that point I think there is room for this type of change. Anodizing is a property of the X-Metal which is unique, whilst painting (although there are some nice examples out there) can be applied to any frame and hence is nothing special and certainly should not command stupid prices like the ones being asked.

Plating falls into the same category as anodizing to some extent. Some of the copper and gold creations on this site and mixed metal finishes are really nice.

OK then, I'm in agreement with you regarding that there are a few exceptions to the general rule.

Some people love more colors than the default monochrome offering of frame colors (aside from 24k). In any case, the customizations can always be undone and revert back to original finish with no permanent damage. It's not like the frames are being mutilated :p

But going back to those silly painted ones, I wouldn't have commented on them if they were reasonably priced or demonstrated some skills instead of a single color spray gun "masterpiece".

OK then, I'm in agreement with you regarding that there are a few exceptions to the general rule.
I wonder if Oakley had persevered with the X-Metals whether they too would have started to experiment and market anodized fames? Seems like a logical progression :rolleyes:

Just imagine, everyone goes on about serial numbers and the uniqueness, this rainbow anodizing would have added an extra dimension to that. Just like damascus steel patterns are unique to each item.

I wonder if Oakley had persevered with the X-Metals whether they too would have started to experiment and market anodized fames? Seems like a logical progression :rolleyes:

Just imagine, everyone goes on about serial numbers and the uniqueness, this rainbow anodizing would have added an extra dimension to that. Just like damascus steel patterns are unique to each item.

They did that already with purple & blue single-tone prototypes...

Some people love more colors than the default monochrome offering of frame colors (aside from 24k). In any case, the customizations can always be undone and revert back to original finish with no permanent damage. It's not like the frames are being mutilated :p

But going back to those silly painted ones, I wouldn't have commented on them if they were reasonably priced or demonstrated some skills instead of a single color spray gun "masterpiece".
The wonders of titanium/X-Metal!!!!!

Someone found this on facebook and shared it with me. I blurred out the person to keep things anonymous. If they're all 1k+ each then I'm... :shock: :headbang:

paintedJuliets.png

Latest Posts

Back