• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Painted Romeo Frame

Is there a way that someone can get a pair of X-Metal Colored R1s with the Polished color?

Only by modding them - the x-metal finish (along with most of the others) is a coating; one can get a dremel and buff it off down to a silvery polished look. But the cast titanium alloy of x-metals, especially with the earlier ones made with the sand casting method before they switched to lost wax, will have some bubbles and / or pits on it; the coating (x-metal or otherwise) hides those. Polish that away and you will see them (some consider that desirable).

Alternatively you can chrome plate them (like that pair in the ebay auction you asked about the other day), but that's more complicated and expensive. If you want a polished finish with the tint of x-metal finish, that would have to be some sort of aftermarket plating of something the right color that can be buffed to a polish. I've never seen a pair like that.

Only by modding them - the x-metal finish (along with most of the others) is a coating; one can get a dremel and buff it off down to a silvery polished look. But the cast titanium alloy of x-metals, especially with the earlier ones made with the sand casting method before they switched to lost wax, will have some bubbles and / or pits on it; the coating (x-metal or otherwise) hides those. Polish that away and you will see them (some consider that desirable).

Alternatively you can chrome plate them (like that pair in the ebay auction you asked about the other day), but that's more complicated and expensive. If you want a polished finish with the tint of x-metal finish, that would have to be some sort of aftermarket plating of something the right color that can be buffed to a polish. I've never seen a pair like that.
Why do you say that x-metal finish is a coating...it's also just a blast finish.

Just like plasma, just like titanium. Just blast finishes.

Not true.........xmetal is an annodized finish,plasma and titanium is also an annodized finish with a clear coat,ive watched it many times peel away when i hit them with the sandblaster.first gen silver plasma is also some kind of coating.i hate refinishing these because it takes alot of time to remove that tough finish.xmetal IS NOT the natural color of titanium its natural color is more light grey.

Back