• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Painting Frames- Questions

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
I'm thinking of starting up a project for a pair of glasses that aren't getting any love from me, but I could see wearing if I do the mod I'm contemplating.

The mod I want to do involves a couple layers of paint. I don't have a lot of painting experience, however. I know I need to prep the frames with say a mild rubbing alcohol to degrease them. But after that stage I'm wondering where I should go.

The frames I have are matte black. I want to lay down a color or two, as well as retain the initial look. What's the best paint to use on the frames, and will I need a clear coat (matte) to seal everything, or will the paint stay pretty well without it?

The blacks that come in Krylon Fusion are Flat, Satin, and Gloss, I'm guessing I want Flat to match the matte black of the frames?

If I screw up what's the best method to strip paint from the frames?

The glasses I'm going to mod are SI Ten with gloss black icons and VR28 black iridium polarized lenses.

painting frames are easy as. just use any acrylic paint, and a clear coat with your preferred finish and you're good to go. it's all trial and error. go crazy with it. =)

painting frames are easy as. just use any acrylic paint, and a clear coat with your preferred finish and you're good to go. it's all trial and error. go crazy with it. =)

Ive been wanting to do a custom frogskin or even batwolf but no one has told me what paint to use and the steps to do it! I guess i should've remembered the crazy splatter man Jono specializes in things like this! lol. THANKS! :dance3:

Prep the frames by wiping the frame down with rubbing alcohol, then lightly sand with 400 grit sandpaper. Then wipe the frame down again. When you have your paint of choice, lightly spray each coat and allow plenty of time between each coat. Also remember to have plenty of ventilation and to wear the proper protection.

Prep the frames by wiping the frame down with rubbing alcohol, then lightly sand with 400 grit sandpaper. Then wipe the frame down again. When you have your paint of choice, lightly spray each coat and allow plenty of time between each coat. Also remember to have plenty of ventilation and to wear the proper protection.

Very helpful, thank you! :big_boss:

I will interject a little I have learned...Not to contradict or hijack, but I have some alternatives that seem to work..

First, I never ever sand a frame. Sanding introduces scratches that have to be covered up. You will either cover with a base, but it still has to be heavier, or a primer which is just an added layer. I actually clean the frames the same, although I start with hot water and a good dish detergent to break down any oils, then go over with alcohol to be safe. I then use a high quality automotive plastic specific adhesion promoter which is easier and doesn't introduce scratching like sanding. As for painting, all mine is done with an Iwata HP-CH airbrush, so no spray can of any sort.

Now, for the important part. Never ever use cheap paint. You get what you give. I personally use religiously House Of Kolor and Alsa pearls, bases, metallics, candies, and other solids. I also use specifically DuPont Hyper Cure clear coat. Trust me in this, it lays very nice, virtually glass like every time no flaws. If you use hobby paints, you will get a hobby result. Not to say they won't look good, but they sure won't hold up to daily wear and tear. I spend a lot on my paint and have never been let down. I have actually painted frames for employees of Oakley since they saw finished works and asked for it. Patience is the key with anything. Splatters aren't too terribly hard, but fades and blends is where you can get all screwed up. Also, the hinges are a touchy spot for any trick paint job. I try to spray as little as possible in the hinge area to avoid peeling and sticking. Just light dusting of color and maybe a hint of clear.

here are a few of the jobs I have done so you can see a little better.

House of Kolors Tangelo Pearl

IMG_0013.jpg

Img_0010.jpg

Img_0016.jpg

House Of Kolor Solar Gold Metallic with HOK Black Metallic Icons and Stars

_mg_4262-1.jpg

_mg_4263-1.jpg

_mg_4264-1.jpg

_mg_4265-1.jpg

_mg_4266-1.jpg

_mg_4267-1.jpg

_mg_4268-1.jpg