• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Painting Frames- Questions

good luck there. I don't believe you will get any sort of a finish that is acceptable. I know many have tried and I spoke with my anodizer I used on my paintball gear, and he said flat out that in titanium, it basically has to be virgin 100% ti to have a good result, otherwise you get real nasty rust looking finishes from alloyed titanium and non-virgin finishes. Trust me, I would have had my pair done in hot pink right along side my paintball gun lol...

I already done with my OTT and Ericsson R190 satelite.

31052010_004.jpg

rockstar bro, totally love those. I have wanted to toy with camo and just have yet to do it. One day...I did a sick olive drab and black (matte finish) jawbone several months back that came out cool, but that OTT is radical...

I will interject a little I have learned...Not to contradict or hijack, but I have some alternatives that seem to work..

First, I never ever sand a frame. Sanding introduces scratches that have to be covered up. You will either cover with a base, but it still has to be heavier, or a primer which is just an added layer. I actually clean the frames the same, although I start with hot water and a good dish detergent to break down any oils, then go over with alcohol to be safe. I then use a high quality automotive plastic specific adhesion promoter which is easier and doesn't introduce scratching like sanding. As for painting, all mine is done with an Iwata HP-CH airbrush, so no spray can of any sort.

Now, for the important part. Never ever use cheap paint. You get what you give. I personally use religiously House Of Kolor and Alsa pearls, bases, metallics, candies, and other solids. I also use specifically DuPont Hyper Cure clear coat. Trust me in this, it lays very nice, virtually glass like every time no flaws. If you use hobby paints, you will get a hobby result. Not to say they won't look good, but they sure won't hold up to daily wear and tear. I spend a lot on my paint and have never been let down. I have actually painted frames for employees of Oakley since they saw finished works and asked for it. Patience is the key with anything. Splatters aren't too terribly hard, but fades and blends is where you can get all screwed up. Also, the hinges are a touchy spot for any trick paint job. I try to spray as little as possible in the hinge area to avoid peeling and sticking. Just light dusting of color and maybe a hint of clear.

hi
I haven't painted any of my frames yet, but i have painted and repair various car parts as my family owns a car repair shop, one experience i must share is that when painting plastics you MUST sand it first with very fine sandpaper, yes you will introduce scratches, but that same scratches is actually vital for the adhesive primer to stick to the plastic, if you don't, even the slightest bend will cause the paint to pop off, i've seen too many bumper's paint crack off easily without ever doing anything,

now my question is:

do ya'll master customizer uses any adhesive primer with your frames or will it just be as you sain an added layer and make the style look bad? and also do you guys use clear coat for protection?

and also can i use polyurethane or acrylic paint?

I have yet to have a frame crack off and I do a twist test in the after they cure...And to answer your other question and also show how I avoid sanding, yes, I use Bulldog adhesion promoter for plastics. I am going to get some HOK adhereto also and test it. So far so good with Bulldog. A good clean surface and a couple coats of adhesion promoter and all is good. Not to challenge it, just what I have found that works so far...

hi
I haven't painted any of my frames yet, but i have painted and repair various car parts as my family owns a car repair shop, one experience i must share is that when painting plastics you MUST sand it first with very fine sandpaper, yes you will introduce scratches, but that same scratches is actually vital for the adhesive primer to stick to the plastic, if you don't, even the slightest bend will cause the paint to pop off, i've seen too many bumper's paint crack off easily without ever doing anything,

now my question is:

do ya'll master customizer uses any adhesive primer with your frames or will it just be as you sain an added layer and make the style look bad? and also do you guys use clear coat for protection?

and also can i use polyurethane or acrylic paint?

How do you paint a textured plastic bumpers and some of the ABS plastics at your shop then that you can't physically sand? Works the same way for eyewear frames..... it is also ALL about your products, use top notch products and you will get top notch results.... use a rattle can and you will get the result of the effort that you put into it, which is not gonna be that good....

Back