• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Painting Frames- Questions

New Chop_tn said: ↑ Wow dude is amazing

Nah, but these are...

905831_821968544481500_8788580317929648455_o.jpg

I will interject a little I have learned...Not to contradict or hijack, but I have some alternatives that seem to work..

First, I never ever sand a frame. Sanding introduces scratches that have to be covered up. You will either cover with a base, but it still has to be heavier, or a primer which is just an added layer. I actually clean the frames the same, although I start with hot water and a good dish detergent to break down any oils, then go over with alcohol to be safe. I then use a high quality automotive plastic specific adhesion promoter which is easier and doesn't introduce scratching like sanding. As for painting, all mine is done with an Iwata HP-CH airbrush, so no spray can of any sort.

Now, for the important part. Never ever use cheap paint. You get what you give. I personally use religiously House Of Kolor and Alsa pearls, bases, metallics, candies, and other solids. I also use specifically DuPont Hyper Cure clear coat. Trust me in this, it lays very nice, virtually glass like every time no flaws. If you use hobby paints, you will get a hobby result. Not to say they won't look good, but they sure won't hold up to daily wear and tear. I spend a lot on my paint and have never been let down. I have actually painted frames for employees of Oakley since they saw finished works and asked for it. Patience is the key with anything. Splatters aren't too terribly hard, but fades and blends is where you can get all screwed up. Also, the hinges are a touchy spot for any trick paint job. I try to spray as little as possible in the hinge area to avoid peeling and sticking. Just light dusting of color and maybe a hint of clear.

here are a few of the jobs I have done so you can see a little better.

House of Kolors Tangelo Pearl

View attachment 79889

View attachment 79890

View attachment 79891

House Of Kolor Solar Gold Metallic with HOK Black Metallic Icons and Stars

View attachment 79892

View attachment 79893

View attachment 79894

View attachment 79895

View attachment 79896

View attachment 79897

View attachment 79898

To be continued...

Could I send sunglasses to you to paint over two tiny graphics?

Could I send sunglasses to you to paint over two tiny graphics?
I'm sure I can... shoot me an email to drchopshopinfo@gmail and I can take a look at what you are wanting to do specifically.

hello guys, im new on this forum and im desperately in need of help here. my father left me a pair of beaten oakley plates. and for a couple of years they have been sitting untouched in my room. lately i was thinking of restoring them but i cant find any info as to how to remove the lenses and parts. and im afraid of messing them up. im planning to do original paint job and i dont have any knowledge as what kind/brand of paint to use. its really important for me to restore this pair of glasses. can anyone help me out with this?

Back