• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Painting Wires

flyer

Free Oakley from Lux!
Pretty much wired.
I have searched this thread back to the beginning, and haven't found anyone silly enough to re-paint a Gen.1 E Wire.
Lots of O-Matter refurbs, but nothing metal specific...
I've never attempted this before, and haven't painted anything since model airplane days, though I do still have a nice airbrush and compressor.
Any hints/tips as to how to prep, and what type of paint to use would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
You have to prep those frames properly with some kind of beadblast media to get the paint to properly adhere ,but watch the pressure or they will twist and deform.

Thanks for that. I'm looking for such "do-it-yourself" info.
I have followed your work, and am mightily impressed, but I hardly think lowly E wires worth your time or mine when I can just buy a pristine frame for well under $70. Maybe if the frame had more "real estate" to show off on...

Blast for surface prep, or use 240g sandpaper to strip existing paint and roughened up the surface

For hobby paints, use metal primer for base coat and then go to town with paint of your choice. Optional clear coat for extra protection.

For professional single stage paints, just paint straight to the clean surface

Follow the instructions of your paints and apply extra coats as directed.

Back