• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Payments on PayPal using Friends & Family

I shouldn't be getting charged a percent in the first place. It's not up to me to add in the amount PayPal is going to fμck someone.
We can agree to disagree. Maybe. :)
If a seller offers an item for a price in USD for an amount that is the valuation. PP is not the sole option, you could face to face, send a check and wait for it to clear, Western Union, wire transfer, ask another forum member to pick up and ship, money order and more. Lets consider then that as the buyer you are the one choosing PP - because frankly it is the most convenient of those myriad options. Why should the seller bear a fee for the convenient way that you chose? In asking that a fee be added if not F&F, the seller is expecting you to make him whole for your decision presumably based on convenience.
Sincerely,
The Devil'z Advocate

It bothers me quite a bit that people ask the buyer to pay the 4%. Just ask for whatever the hell you want and add in a few bucks for the fees. I've passed on several deals because the 4% isn't accurate and it pisses me off. I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that paying someone $416 for a $400 item doesn't actually get them $400, its still slightly less. I feel like I've shorted someone if I do that and I hate messing with the payment amount until it adds up to an even $400, or just a hair over. If you want $400, ask for $420 or something so you get your money even after the fees.

If I went to the store to buy Oakleys and they told me I had to manually add in the tax or something I'd punch them in the face. Asking someone to cover the fees deserves a punch in the face as well.
That's what I do in my sales. I just add an extra 2 or 3 bucks more to cover everything.

There's only a handful of people here that I've bought from and I've paid F and F. Everyone else, sorry, I'll pay the fees

We can agree to disagree. Maybe. :)
If a seller offers an item for a price in USD for an amount that is the valuation. PP is not the sole option, you could face to face, send a check and wait for it to clear, Western Union, wire transfer, ask another forum member to pick up and ship, money order and more. Lets consider then that as the buyer you are the one choosing PP - because frankly it is the most convenient of those myriad options. Why should the seller bear a fee for the convenient way that you chose? In asking that a fee be added if not F&F, the seller is expecting you to make him whole for your decision presumably based on convenience.
Sincerely,
The Devil'z Advocate

Hmm
Would you ship me a pair of glasses on the promise I will pay when I get them? I can send the money via wire or a check after I get the glasses and inspect them.

I think Im going to start a new movement
When I sell Im going to post I will pay half of the PP fees.
That seems like a fair compromise
And as others have stated prices on the forum are subjective at best. they are not always cheaper than e bay
In fact lately they are right on par with e bay pricing
Now Im not saying that its bad , but it is what it is

I agree with @digi7alph0enix
If I make an offer thats what Im willing to pay

Last edited:
Hmm
Would you ship me a pair of glasses on the promise I will pay when I get them? I can send the money via wire or a check after I get the glasses and inspect them....
Welcome to the conversation.
Did you note how I ended my post? Devil's Advocate. .
That means that even though I don't feel a certain way I can see other perspectives.
Not sure how my comment got construed to your abstract, but in fact I have sent glasses without payment to other trusted forum members in good standing. Not even as a purchase deal but merely so that they could see, touch and feel something that they had not before and make a costly decision to add that piece to their collection or not.
Right @Dallas O Hog ?
Hell I even sent OakleyAndi lenses before he sent me his end of the swap. Well, that was before the (first) implosion.

I agree with @digi7alph0enix
If I make an offer thats what Im willing to pay
The converse to that is when a seller lists something that is what they expect to receive, not that less a "convenience" fee for the buyer.

The converse to that is when a seller lists something that is what they expect to receive, not that less a "convenience" fee for the buyer.
I would debate the fact that you see that fee as a convince fee for the buyer (or at least argue that point for other sellers). By PayPal's own definition, it isn't. Its a fee for sellers to have the convenience of PayPal. Because paypal assumes the risk for the buyer, and charges the seller a fee in order to use a payment service trusted by most buyers.

he converse to that is when a seller lists something that is what they expect to receive, not that less a "convenience" fee for the buyer.

Maybe we should just do what’s posted in the forum rules?

" Because we are not involved in any transactions performed on this site, we can only recommend, a safe way to perform transactions. Our recommendation, is once you have the transaction planned out, have the seller go to Ebay.com, and create a posting for the items for the agreed price. The buyer can than immediately go on and buy the item. This way the buyer and seller are both protected by Ebay. This is just a recommendation of a way to perform safe transaction. You may perform than in any way you see fit."

Read more: http://www.oakleyforum.com/help/exchange-guidelines#ixzz3qdcXpClU

Latest Posts

Back