• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Pedestrian accident

First and foremost, glad you are still alive. I asked my friend who is a cop here in Houston and he said your case is difficult that is if there are no credible witness who got an accurate license plate, make and model of vehicle and can actually identify the driver.

Now if the driver that hit you actually stopped and gave his/her information to the authorities, then all you need is their contact info from the police report.

As far as police reports, normally police here in Houston enters the report to the system and it takes 7-10 business days for an investigator to pick up the case. The more information on the report, highly likely to be worked on right away. But if there are not much information, like no suspect info, no make and model of vehicle it is least likely to be worked on.

It is not that investigators are too lazy to work on a case, but imagine manpower vs. the total population in a certain city, county and state.

As far as getting a copy of report, my friend said that it does not take that long to get a copy of a police report at least with Houston p.d.

Your best bet is get it thru your medical insurance.

Hopefully this helps.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the responses. I'm sorry I haven't been online since my last post. I'm still in a lot of pain.

An update on my situation: I finally got the police report after speaking to their supervisor directly. It turns out it was just sitting on his desk and wouldn't even have looked at it if I hadn't called. Furthermore, its contents didn't resolve anything for me and even added to my mental anguish.

The report was full of errors. I could not speak for the name, contact info, and insurance info of the driver, but I can say that my name and my wife's (emergency contact person) were misspelled, and my contact numbers were all wrong.

The diagram of the accident shows the suv stopping in front of me at the point of contact right at the scene of the accident where in reality, it had stopped a few yards away (maybe 30 feet) from where I lay on the ground.

There were no witnesses. I guess none if the bystanders came forward or really didn't see what happened, which is very unfortunate, because on the driver statement, the driver said that "he did not see me walking inside the crosswalk". Completely false! The crosswalk was so wide and directly in my path from the side of the street I was on straight to the other side I was trying to get to. Why would I go out of my way to walk around the clearly marked crosswalk just to cross to the other side?

I was struck inside the crosswalk and got thrown a few feet away from the sheer force of impact. I remember rolling a few times and getting dragged across the pavement. I have deep abrasions that are still healing up until now. I remember thinking to myself that it felt just like crashing while snowboarding, only harder.

How could such an important document be handled so carelessly? I can't take on this situation myself at this point. I checked my insurance claims online... I'm up to $12,000 now and still have a few pending claims from the hospital. Out of pocket is about 15% of that but still, it's something I wouldn't even be worrying about if the driver wasn't so negligent. He wasn't even from DC. Florida plates, assuming the report got that part right.

If I were to present this to a lawyer, do I have a good case that they'd be willing to represent me? How would I go about the initial meeting with one? Again, thanks so much for all the kind words and inputs. Somehow, they help me forget about the pain. There are just some days that are more painful than others to the point that I can't focus on anything.

Dont be sorry about not posting, youre in pain! And if no witnesses have come forward then i would recommend a lawyer. Its their word vs yours now and im certain he will have legal representation himself and the first thing they are going to do is try to settle with you for pennies on the dollar. For now rest up and heal my friend!:beach: