• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Penny Condition

Fresh

I should Work at Oakley
Mexico City
My brother decided to buy a Penny last week, they just arrived and I gotta say they are quite cool. But since none of us has ever had an X-Metal (we used to see them in the store, but as soon as we saw the price tag we decided to just look at them and no touching) we are not sure of the condition of the frame. We will be sending them to the XMan in a few days for a tune up, but there are some other things that we ain't sure if it can be fixed or not, so if you could helps is out, it be great. Any comments about it will be greatly appreciated.

Ground questions:
Since the serial is in the low 1000s we are guessing this is a first gen correct?
Are the little holes in the pictures normal? Can and should we get them fixed?
You can see the rubber in the right orbital is pretty much gone, do the XMan fix this?

Thank you so much for the help.
Ps. No box included but they did send the penny coin and a extra Juliet coin (old model)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't see photos.

But X-Man will repair the rubber in the orbital.

Can you tell us the exact serial number ?

Did you mean to post pics? I don't see any.

But yes if the serial doesn't have a suffix like "A" or "B" then they're 1st gen. Need to see pics to answer the others.

OK, with pics yes, definitely 1st gen.

Not completely sure what you mean by "little holes". You mean the pitting on some parts of the frame? Yes, that's normal especially with early gens, and I'd leave it as-is.

The "rubber in the right orbital", looks like you mean the orbital gasket is missing. Replacing orbital gaskets is not part of a standard tuneup procedure but he may still be able to take care of it for you, you'll have to ask him.

BTW, earlier the x-man posted this on his thread:

"The x- man isn't taking orders the last week in august. Hold on to your packages for just one more week and then after the holiday you can send your stuff in."

So wait until next week before sending those to him.

Last edited:
OK, with pics yes, definitely 1st gen.

Not completely sure what you mean by "little holes". You mean the pitting on some parts of the frame? Yes, that's normal especially with early gens, and I'd leave it as-is.

The "rubber in the right orbital", looks like you mean the orbital gasket is missing. Replacing orbital gaskets is not part of a standard tuneup procedure but he may still be able to take care of it for you, you'll have to ask him.
Thanks Kronin, yes, the pitting or "little holes" (I had no idea of the actual name) were a concern, we can now scratch that off the list. And yes, the right orbital gasket is what I meant, I'll talk to XMan and see if he can fix this. What about the bridge "rivets" (sorry I don't know the proper name for these either), they look a bit weird, like the were hammered in, should this be a concern? Once again thanks for the help

What about the bridge "rivets" (sorry I don't know the proper name for these either), they look a bit weird, like the were hammered in, should this be a concern?

I'd bet they've been tuned up before. From what I hear, Penny is one of the more difficult frames to re-pin, and that might be why they look like that.

X-man uses new rivets when he does a tuneup, and he's experienced enough he should be able to handle those with no problem. The only question is if there's damage to the nosebridge piece, but from those pics it looks like functionally you'll be all right.

Back