• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Penny Help

SpliceD

Pronounced, "Spliced"
Los Angeles, CA
So i've never touched a pair of Pennys and i have an opportunity to pick one up for what i think is a good price ($150ish)

It's polished with ice blue lenses. Not sure if this color combo was ever offered (and not listed in OR.com).

What are some things i should look for?

If I recall correctly Polished came with Black. I would check the following to start...

1. Serial number? Most polished frames did have serials..... if not its not a big deal
2. Check the lenses, make sure they are authentic. The ice lenses had a consistent blue color in the lens. No greens, purples etc.
3. Make sure the torx screws on the top of the frame are even with the frame and not sticking up.
4. Check the flex in the temples, because they are spring hinge they should snap back without issue.
5. Make sure the orbital frame screw is there and its not a cheap knock off with no screw present.
6. Check the flex in the nosebridge. How loose is it. Is it worth sending back for Oakley to loose it on you?

$150 is a good price just for the frame too.....

Here's one pic i got. No mention of a serial and he claims the lenses are polarized.

6555601539_ff5e4a7400.jpg

Replied in BOLD.

If I recall correctly Polished came with Black. I would check the following to start...

1. Serial number? Most polished frames did have serials..... if not its not a big deal
2. Check the lenses, make sure they are authentic. The ice lenses had a consistent blue color in the lens. No greens, purples etc.
3. Make sure the torx screws on the top of the frame are even with the frame and not sticking up.

Where are you referring to? From the pic, i don't see any screws on top?

4. Check the flex in the temples, because they are spring hinge they should snap back without issue.
5. Make sure the orbital frame screw is there and its not a cheap knock off with no screw present.

Are they T6/Torx screws like the rest of the x metal frames?

6. Check the flex in the nosebridge. How loose is it. Is it worth sending back for Oakley to loose it on you?

I could walk it in since i live close enough to make the trip to HQ. So i'm not worried about them going missing

$150 is a good price just for the frame too.....

There are torx screws in the top of the frame which hold the temples in place I expanded the pix you sent ...I see them there....They look good from here. As for being polarized that isn't difficult to find out either. $150.00 is a good price....

Ok i got them. They are sweet, but sadly do not fit my face very well. The spring hinges get pushed out when i put them on. Wearable, but i won't wear them.

So here's the skinny:

The good - The frames are polished and serialized. Hard to see in the pics, but the serial is PB025027. Frame sits straight and looks good. The flex couplers feel brand new and tight. Spring hinges aren't loose. Nose pieces and earsocks are still in new condition. Seller claims he never wore them, which i believe.

The not so good - The lenses are indeed Ice Polarized. They're scratch free, but there is a weird haze going on on the right lens. Hard to see in the pic, but also hard to see unless you're looking for it. It doesn't affect vision at all. I moved the lens around so i could look through all parts of the lens and there's no distortion. They're polarized because the seller told me he has a friend that works for Oakley who cuts the Rx lenses. He had them custom cut the lenses and fit them into the frame. You can see in the pic, Oakley puts in their signature "O" for Rx lenses indicating they are from the factory. These are NOT Rx lenses. They're just cut, but no prescriptions are put in.

Overall, they're still a GREAT condition pair. Unfortunately there's no box or coin or extra unobtanium. I have no idea how much these could fetch, but i already have someone who has dibs if i decide to sell. What do you guys think?

Here's the pics:

The Rx "O"
6556291607_8198f32024.jpg

The weird haze in the right lens. You can kinda see it just above the reflection of the lights on the right hand side
6556291503_890bcb5df8.jpg

The frame itself
6556291437_c2f783d6ae.jpg

6556291559_113061c23b.jpg

Serial
6556291361_f93f2219d0.jpg

Latest Posts

Back