• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Penny hinge lube?

I've never lubed Penny hinges so I can't say for sure what's best, but x-man certainly knows his x-metal maintenance stuff. Perhaps WD-40 is the best choice.

In general, though, I believe people overuse WD-40 as a lubricant. It was originally created to protect components of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion. The name is an abbreviation of "Water Displacement, 40th formula". For household use, its best application is to loosen jammed or tight metal components. I just used it last weekend to return a completely jammed combination padlock that'd been outside for a few years to fine working order.

Aside from a propellant, it contains a volatile hydrocarbon which penetrates and evaporates, and a light lubricant that stays behind.

For GP long-term lubrication I usually use 3-in-One oil. It tends to last a lot longer. Perfect example is squeaky door hinges - they'll stay smooth and silent a lot longer if you pop the pins and give them a light coating of 3-in-One, instead of just a WD-40 spray...

Then there's various specialty oils like DuPont Krytox, Super Lube, NyoGel, and Nano-Oil. Personally, I'm looking to pick up some Nano-Oil...

Last edited:
To OP, what is the nature of the problem with the hinges? Certainly everything discussed above should work, but another solution might be something very light like Rem oil.

Actually when I take those things apart I use an oil called "weapon Shield" it keeps that copper plunger lubricated so it doesn't corrode in place.
I've been using this on all my xmetal screws since you told me about it. I bought a small jar, enough to last a loooong time when you are just coating screws and washers, lol.