• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Penny X-men?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toosteeley

I should Work at Oakley
Toronto
Hi all.

Apologies for the potential newbie question but I came across a local listing for a pair of "Penny X-men" recently that caught my eye. The seller is making it seem like these are special editions, but in the research I've done (albeit brief) I can't find any information on whether there were in fact special edition Pennys made. I know they were featured in the movie(s) and the colorway seems correct, but there's no documentation, X-men logo or sequential number on them to indicate they're anything more than a nice pair of regular Pennys.

Please enlighten me ;)

Cheers

They only released a "movie version" of the Juliet, not the Penny. Likely just a x-metal / ruby Penny he's marketing as x-men.

Unless it's a Juliet misidentified as a Penny. In that case it would have a X###### serial on it, 5000 or less, to be the movie release.

Typically collectors refer to the first generation Penny w/ Ruby as the X-Men version. The lenses are deeper red than subsequent releases of the Penny w/ Ruby and carry a serial with an "X" prefix", "XM" in its entirety (per Kronin).
Later gens carry no serial and do not have the same depth to the lenses.
Welcome to the forum and Cheers!

Last edited:
Serialised pairs are not easy to come across these days and it certainly took time for myself to find one. Seven years as I remember and luckily it was a complete box matched set. As mentioned, you will find non serialled sets out there but you may need patience to find the XM version. The only slight downside to my pair is a small tear to label where it states X Metal / Ruby, but I can live with that.
Few pics :)

EBC686D2-D3D7-4CB6-988E-C6411414F5AD_zpsur5hu3ki.jpg
83209719-5381-4DF2-BE94-1A13523D4432_zpshz7mvjva.jpg

Last edited:
Serialised pairs are not easy to come across these days and it certainly took time for myself to find one. Seven years as I remember and luckily it was a complete box matched set. As mentioned, you will find non serialled sets out there but you may need patience to find the XM version. The only slight downside to my pair is a small tear to label where it states X Metal / Ruby, but I can live with that.
Few pics :)

EBC686D2-D3D7-4CB6-988E-C6411414F5AD_zpsur5hu3ki.jpg
83209719-5381-4DF2-BE94-1A13523D4432_zpshz7mvjva.jpg

Are those first gen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back