• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Photochromic Lens Thread.

Llohr

Oakley Beginner
I looked around and saw a few threads about specific photochromic lenses, but I didn't manage to find any about direct comparisons between them. Has anybody owned multiple kinds and been able to compare them first-hand? I imagine transition times are all about the same and none are likely to be great for driving, but which seem to get darkest? How long do they last, really? Mainly, I guess I'm looking for some subjective feedback, which do you prefer, and why?

I looked around and saw a few threads about specific photochromic lenses, but I didn't manage to find any about direct comparisons between them. Has anybody owned multiple kinds and been able to compare them first-hand? I imagine transition times are all about the same and none are likely to be great for driving, but which seem to get darkest? How long do they last, really? Mainly, I guess I'm looking for some subjective feedback, which do you prefer, and why?
What do you mean by how long they last. Each usually take aprox. 30 sec to transition either way and lose their ability to transition in "several" years.

lose their ability to transition in "several" years.
That's the bit I wondered about. I was curious if anybody had some from birth to death, as it were, and how long that took. I also hoped to infer whether frequency of use was a factor, or just pure time. If frequency of use matters, I imagine storage would as well.

Just google transition lens and yoy will find some articles about the the life of lenses. I have a G40 and clear/black. Im still frothing at the mouth after seeing @CarGuy s VR28s thou. My clear/black is new and my G40 is a couple years old.

I wear clear/black for a few hours every day. When I walk outside they're not fast enough to keep me from squinting. When I walk back inside they're dark and I feel the need to take them off. I wouldn't pay the price again.

I have a pair of photochromatic on a hj 2.0 i use them when I am woodworking. My garage is my shop and I often work with the door open so having the glasses provide just a little tint is great and if i need to go completly outside then I dont need to switch eyewear.

Back