• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Photochromic or Prizm Trail Torch?

taz6656

Oakley Beginner
Hi all,

I'm about to invest in my first pair of cycling sunglasses after taking up riding during lockdown. The majority of my rides are on towpaths, alongside canals and a mix of being in shaded areas and in bright sunshine. I don't want to have to change lenses so do I go for a photochromic lens or the Prizm Trail Torch which Oakley customer service recommended. Any advice would be much appreciated as this is all a bit new to me.

Many thanks for the response Inkkoonce. Can I ask why?
Absolutely, The photo chromatic lens will only lighten and darken what you see. But with Prizm it’s a whole other ballgame. I ride my bike with Prizm Trail and it’s amazing what I am able to see in the shadows. Since you ride in mixed areas and light the Prizm Trail Torch will make it even easier for you to ride and see certain obstacles in the way faster. Prizm Trail Torch is just a tad darker and not as intense as Prizm Trail. I’ve got a Trail Torch on order for a Sutro Lite. But I love my Prizm Trail when riding. Check out these videos.

Absolutely, The photo chromatic lens will only lighten and darken what you see. But with Prizm it’s a whole other ballgame. I ride my bike with Prizm Trail and it’s amazing what I am able to see in the shadows. Since you ride in mixed areas and light the Prizm Trail Torch will make it even easier for you to ride and see certain obstacles in the way faster. Prizm Trail Torch is just a tad darker and not as intense as Prizm Trail. I’ve got a Trail Torch on order for a Sutro Lite. But I love my Prizm Trail when riding. Check out these videos.
Thank you - that’s all really helpful. The videos are great. Forgot to mention I’m in the UK so a lot of overcast dull rides with little or no sun. Will the Trail Torch still do the job?

Back