• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Picking A Frame To Carbon Fiber

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
If the local guys can do a water transfer on a frame for cheap, or perhaps with the next group buy, I'm going to get a frame done in carbon fiber and dedicate them to the glovebox as THE pair that doesn't leave the car.

I've gotten burned a couple times in the last few weeks with the sun poking out from rain clouds and giving me trouble on my drive, and I forgot to leave a set in the car for backup.

Trouble is I can't really decide what frame I want done up. Help me?

Radar. These don't get much wear since I only have a persimmon lens. I'd likely buy a VR28 B.I. if they get chosen, possibly a +Red or Blue. And I could likely get rubber to match the car color.

Flak Jacket. These also aren't in popular rotation, don't fit quite as well as others, and the only lens I have for them is a gold iridium polarized, which I somewhat lost the love for. But I hate letting them sit idle. Also a lot of rubber choices.

M Frame and 2.0. I have two of each frame, a myriad of spare lenses, and the thin frame doesn't really suit many different custom styles. I'd likely keep them with Ice and a VR lens.

I'm thinking the Radar would likely look the best of the 4, and give me an excuse to buy more lenses and get them used more.

M Frame 2.0

I say this because it'd be a great and different look. Plus the regular M-Frame, Radar and Flak are already available in supposed "True Carbon Fiber" styles from Oakley.

What about a Jawbone, but it would be several pieces though.....

They don't fit me. I toyed with getting a pair last year, but after trying them on they just don't fit big enough for me to like them. Only reason I can wear the Flak or Half Jackets is there's no bottom orbital to the frame, but they're both on the small side for me (Half being more so) but I can still wear them.

I'm thinking the Radar might be the best way to go. I know they make a frame in a carbon fiber print/finish, but the frame I have is nothing special and I feel I need to do something for me to start feeling the love for it. A killer carbon fiber finish with a new lens and rubbers to match whatever car I buy in June will certainly do the trick I hope.

Stripped the frame down. Gonna go see a man about some water transfer tomorrow after work. Oh, and he's probably going to do a full strip and refinish on my S&W revolver as well :laugh:

2012-04-11192737.jpg

Of the frames I own I feel the Radar most resembles what a carbon fiber part should look like. No sharp angles or bulges, sleek lines, lightning holes in the stems. And I think doing a set with earsocks will be easier on the guy doing the dipping since a bare spot under the rubber won't matter.

I'm just curious as to how it will work in terms of dipping with the stems bent vs. straight, and how the hinges will fair. I think I should tell him to dip it with the arms straight and if there's gaps in coverage inside the stem it'll be fine. I'd rather that than dipping with them bent and the pattern clogging the hinge somehow.

I'm interested in the results. I have never liked the look of Oakley's "true carbon fiber". It isn't "true" to the look of carbon fiber....

Latest Posts

Back