• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Picking Lens Color

How does warm grey get its non-neutral properties w/o iridium? What is the tint when looking thru them?
How about Jade?

How does warm grey get its non-neutral properties w/o iridium? What is the tint when looking thru them?
How about Jade?

It's the actual base tint in production, just like Yellow has a yellow base period. Warm Grey is a bit red/brownish. Just very slightly. I want to call it analogous to a very, very mild VR28.

Jade had a bit of violet/blue. I'm a bit split on how it's classified. Rustpot would be right that the base isn't neutral, but wearing them (albeit only in the store) I didn't find the tint to have a real dedicated purpose like the classified Contrast lenses effectively working against specific colors.

I continue to be surprised with expected vs actual lens tints, the further I fall down the Oakley rabbit hole.

For example, how the violet iridium has a sort of yellowish tint when looking through it. I would expect a blue/purple lens to have a neutral/gray base, but I was wrong. Fire Iridium also has that yellow contrast tint, but that's pretty much expected.

I personally go back and forth. I really like the external look of the louder lenses like Fire and Violet, but I like having the neutral viewing perspective of the Black Iridium or Jade Iridium.

Warm Grey is an odd one. I don't really notice an overall tint in mine so much as the color saturation. Colors seem very vivid through Warm Grey. To people looking at you wearing it, it looks purple from the outside.

Speaking of lens tints, has anyone ever worn Persimmon for night driving? I've had problems with glare at night and wondered if that may be an answer, or if it'd be too dark. HI Yellow would seem to be another option but they seem to be available on few, if any, frames.

Speaking of lens tints, has anyone ever worn Persimmon for night driving? I've had problems with glare at night and wondered if that may be an answer, or if it'd be too dark. HI Yellow would seem to be another option but they seem to be available on few, if any, frames.
I wore a persimmon lens once on my radarlocks at night just to mess around. It wasn't a bad experience. You only need to get use to the orangeish hue that it gives everything but I think it would be a good lens if you need one for night driving.

im really impressed with the warm grey as it really gives just a enough contrast to accentuate things. I wish they also replaced normal 18% grey with a warm grey.
I have "dark grey" in another pair and its really disappointing other than standing uncovered in complete direct bright sunlight - there is no enhancement if looking into a shadow or under a tree.

If it is about night driving, it seems that high-intensity yellow would be a good choice for tuned contrast and reduced glare in low light (even foggy) conditions. Light transmission for this is rated at 86%. I think this is ideal when driving during foggy days or during sundown where there is still visible light in the sky but not quite enough to warrant the use of darker tinted shades.

Another option would be the ruby clear lens. It has no UV protection, but light transmission is at 92%. It features a subtle iridium coating to increase contrast and reduce glare caused by artificial lighting (i.e. headlights of oncoming cars). Definitely the lens of choice specifically for night driving when safety is a priority.

If it is about night driving, it seems that high-intensity yellow would be a good choice for tuned contrast and reduced glare in low light (even foggy) conditions. Light transmission for this is rated at 86%. I think this is ideal when driving during foggy days or during sundown where there is still visible light in the sky but not quite enough to warrant the use of darker tinted shades.

Another option would be the ruby clear lens. It has no UV protection, but light transmission is at 92%. It features a subtle iridium coating to increase contrast and reduce glare caused by artificial lighting (i.e. headlights of oncoming cars). Definitely the lens of choice specifically for night driving when safety is a priority.
I looked into Ruby Clear a bit but they're almost impossible to find on anything except a couple frames. HI Yellow is a bit more common but not a lot. I wasn't hoping to spend a lot on something as it'd just be for night driving basically. Partly why I considered either a Fast Jacket or Radarlock with persimmon so it would have multiple uses (regular lens during day and switch out at night if need be for commute home). I'll have to keep an eye on clearance threads and eBay deals to try to find something I think.

Latest Posts

Back