• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Pit Boss Question . . .

nerd....can you post a quick write up of how to remove and install...where to press out in etc. I guess my other question is this......doing this doesn't damage the o matter and the optics are still good? Clearly, being the owner of a Tron the obvious mod is Ice...

The lenses pop right out like any other o matter frame, try to pull up at the top of the frame and push the back of lens outward, pops right out. You won't damage the frame at all. I think I'm ordering some ice lenses tomorrow!

No Ice polarized in the Split Jacket line......would love to have that....might have to have a custom cut done. For the longest time there was the belief only Oakley could replace them...maybe perpetuated by the claim by Oakley that the orbitals were basically built around the lenses

@usdavis4PT0gpa
doowutchyalike is right. you will not damage the frame and the way to swap the lenses is like he wrote . . .

@echav23
ask dr chop for a pair emerald lenses!

any ideas how i can remove the plates?? are they glued or pressed into the frame?

I'm gonna guess the plates are glued on since there aren't any screws that hold it into place. Remember in the other thread where we were discussing how to spot fake Pit Bosses? On the inside of the frame where there are round nubs... I'm guessing those are guides to help the plates stay in place while whatever adhesive they use for it dries. I dunno if taking them off is a great idea on a pair of frames that cost as much as they do.

the plates are snap on... i believe the nubs snap into the o matter frame.

i remember someone in here bought a 2nd hand Pit Boss, and he mentioned one of the plates were loose... it kind of rattled around but not loose enough to fall off.

I'm gonna guess the plates are glued on since there aren't any screws that hold it into place. Remember in the other thread where we were discussing how to spot fake Pit Bosses? On the inside of the frame where there are round nubs... I'm guessing those are guides to help the plates stay in place while whatever adhesive they use for it dries. I dunno if taking them off is a great idea on a pair of frames that cost as much as they do.

According to the Oakley website (and another source of information I read a couple years back when these came out) the plates are secured with Hexalobular "bolts"...which are the round nubs. I would be a little wary of prying off plates on anything but a beater pair (unless you've got $400 to drop) lest they are in fact secured with more than glue...and honestly, if I found out they WERE glued on, I'd be very displeased.

Back