• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Please Help Me Select A Model

RobertoG

Oakley Beginner
This is my first post on the Oakley forum so let me first say hello and thanks to anyone taking the time to read this.
I wear small frame rimless prescription glasses (wires) and need a pair of Oakleys that cover the glasses and shield my eyes from sunlight over, under, and around the sides of the sunglasses due to cataracts. I have always used polarized lenses so I am looking for a larger lens size in BIP. Last week I purchased a Ballistic M Frame 2.0 with smoke and clear lenses on Ebay. Love the half frame look but notice a reflection band from my glasses while looking through the sunglasses. The M Frame 2.0s do on OK job of sun shielding but unfortunately can't be used with a replacement BIP lens (I could be wrong on this).
In any case, I would like to buy a second Oakley model that comes with a BIP lens, preferably in a large lens without the reflection problem. Any suggestion on model or lens type would be appreciated.

The M Frame 2.0 can accept normal M Frame retail lenses. Take the frame to an O Store or Vault that sells lenses and ask the lens to be put in by the employee. I have a couple of 2.0 frames and with a couple of my lenses there are fit issues from the slight variations between frames and lenses.

Your pair likely came with the Strike lens. The Heater lens is taller and wraps more and may be worth a look. Keep in mind a Black Iridium Polarized lens for the M Frame is $150 alone.

Depending on your prescription strength you can also buy the lenses from Oakley with your prescription in them. That way you won't have to worry about wearing sunglasses over your eyeglasses. Doing that might start scratching the inside of the sunglasses lens where the corners of the eyeglasses rub.

The Radar with the Range lens is pretty comparable in size to the M Frame Heater. It has slightly better side coverage but isn't quite as tall.

Thanks Rustpot for the spot on advice. Visited the Oakley store in Times Square today (bring earplugs) and bought a new pair of jet black Radar Range frames with the BIP lens. Better coverage, great style. Also liked the Jawbone, although a bit extreme. Passed on the prescription. Would rather just quickly pick up the Smoke when cloudy, the RRange when sunny and just flip them up when I go indoors.
Can anyone recommend a good retention strap? A strap came with the 2.0 but not the pair I bought today.

The only issue I can see of using the Radar vs. the M Frame is that the Radar has a fixed nose bridge that extends from the orbital, where the M Frame snaps onto the lens and the area between the frame and nose is clear. That might present fit issues with your eyeglasses.

The temple area on the Radar is made to flare more to wear over the straps of a helmet, so hopefully that works out for you and fits around your spectacles better, where I imagine the M Frame needs to sit slightly above your eyeglass frame. The M Frame 2.0 is a slimmer fit with taller stems and and hugs the head a little closer than other M Frame styles.

But yes, the Radar fits a little wider, has a bit less wrap, and since the lens connects at the sides there isn't that small gap that exists with M Frame lenses.

For the strap you can try the M Frame Slash Strap Kit. It's made for M Frames and is a direct replacement for the earsocks on the Pro and standard M Frame (not the 2.0). You may be able to get the rubber to fit the Radar after removing the Radar's rubber, but I make no promises you won't split the rubber pieces on the strap kit. The M Frame 2.0 strap works with the holes at the tips of the stems, and I believe the Radarlock (which doens't currently offer a Range lens size, only the smaller 2) has the holes to use this style of strap from the 2.0 or WindJacket/SplitJacket/NewRacingJacket

Back