• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Plexi to Glass tower conversion...

sisson16

Oakley Expert
Texarkana, TX
Looking to replace the doors on my double wide tower. Looks like they've been replaced before and whoever cut them cut em a little to wide so they rub and hang up on each other when opening. I've called around to price 3/8" plexi (doors and shelves are 3/8, not sure if this is stock thickness I've been told 5/16) but no one stocks 3/8" plexi so I would have to pay a special order fee/freight which is way out there.

So my question is what are the thicknesses of everyone else's doors & shelves so maybe I should go another thickness?

And has anyone replaced the doors or the doors and shelves with glass? I know they would weigh more but it would be cheaper since its readily available and also wouldn't scratch.

Comments are appreciated

I don't think I have seen doors replaced with glass, but I have seen shelves replaced with tempered glass. It looks nice and you don't have to worry about the shelves sagging in the middle like the plexi ones do.

Mine don't sag and I think it's because they've been replaced with thicker plexi. May be wrong idk but I'm sure they just cut shelves and doors out of a sheet at the same time. What thickness glass have you used for shelves?

I replaced my 3.0 doors with one glass door. It's 1/4" with polished edges. Had to get a heavy duty hinge because the weigh of the door over time will cause it to shift a little. It was $60 & $6 for the hinges. Big plus is a nice, clear seamless look. Only downside is that it isn't drilled for the cam lock and cannot be locked. But my home is also free of little ones so really no big deal.

You would be able to go thinner on the plexi...you are right...nobody stocks the thickness of these doors any more...or the shelving...the reason we were given was the that it is too expensive...so we went thinner...had them cut...for 18 buck s a piece...they were not straight though...so we took them back and they did them again...and this time they were perfect....you just need to find the right guy who will do it...

You would be able to go thinner on the plexi...you are right...nobody stocks the thickness of these doors any more...or the shelving...the reason we were given was the that it is too expensive...so we went thinner...had them cut...for 18 buck s a piece...they were not straight though...so we took them back and they did them again...and this time they were perfect....you just need to find the right guy who will do it...

Won't they sag more if there thinner...people have problems with the thicker plexiglass sagging over time so I would think thinner would end up being worse

I think there is that fine line where you can go too thin....our old ones didn't sag at all and both our cabinets are old and rare..we were just remodeling and needed a different size...they look great and to be honest...you can hardly even notice they are thinner....like I said...if you find someone good to do it you shouldn't have any probs...

what thickness did you go with and what cases do you have? I don't think it's hard to find someone to do it just finding the right material and not paying a freight charge. If they get the measurements right it's just a rip and some cross cuts.

Back