• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized Etch On Back

MachineHead

Oakley Expert
New Jersey
oakley experts,

did oakley ever release lenses with the polarized etch on the back of the lens instead of the front?

i bought a pair of monster doggles from a member of this forum and i immediately noticed that the polarized etching was on the back of the lens instead of the front like all my polarized lenses. he said, "oakley etches on both sides of the lenses. Some they do the front, some they do the back.". is this true?

thank you.

I've never seen it on the front, all my lenses are etched from the back, and I'd think etching them from the front would lead to premature peeling off the iridium.

when you touch the lens, it is rough on the back or the front?
The back. From the front the letters are clear but they are very obviously on the back side of the lens. Now you've got me wondering what a front etched lens would look like and why they would ever do that. Seems like a step backwards to coat a lens then scratch some of it off with etching. Or maybe some colors are too dark to see the etching if it isn't on the front?

The back. From the front the letters are clear but they are very obviously on the back side of the lens. Now you've got me wondering what a front etched lens would look like and why they would ever do that. Seems like a step backwards to coat a lens then scratch some of it off with etching. Or maybe some colors are too dark to see the etching if it isn't on the front?
this is weird cause all my lenses are etched in the front (polarized, ducati, infinite hero, jupiter camo) and most of them i bought from oakley so they can't be fake. by back i mean the side closer to your face and front is the side people can see. when i touch the lens i can feel the roughness on the front side

oakley experts,

did oakley ever release lenses with the polarized etch on the back of the lens instead of the front?

i bought a pair of monster doggles from a member of this forum and i immediately noticed that the polarized etching was on the back of the lens instead of the front like all my polarized lenses. he said, "oakley etches on both sides of the lenses. Some they do the front, some they do the back.". is this true?

thank you.
Mikey asked the same question here.

they come both ways. generally I have seen the largest amount of rear etched come out of warranty, and the front etched are generally retail. That's not to say it is that way 100% of the time, but that is generally the scenario.

Back