• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized Etch On Back

If you're so concerned why not take them to a store and get proof they're real? I mean I wouldn't refund you because you obviously have a somewhat limited knowledge on what can determine a pair real/fake. Go to a store and be sure. Only real way to do it.

they come both ways. generally I have seen the largest amount of rear etched come out of warranty, and the front etched are generally retail. That's not to say it is that way 100% of the time, but that is generally the scenario.
My polarized lenses aren't from warranty so they can definitely come from retail that way. I'm just at a loss as to why they'd do anything to weaken the iridium. Maybe a question for Jim...

If you're so concerned why not take them to a store and get proof they're real? I mean I wouldn't refund you because you obviously have a somewhat limited knowledge on what can determine a pair real/fake. Go to a store and be sure. Only real way to do it.

i would do that but the seller already told me to try to remove the icons and if it was impossible to remove, they were fake.... i couldn't get the icons off. we already agreed on a return but i just wanted to learn more about the back etched lenses because it's the first time i've encountered them..

i just added something to my limited knowledge thanks to you guys. :)

My polarized lenses aren't from warranty so they can definitely come from retail that way. I'm just at a loss as to why they'd do anything to weaken the iridium. Maybe a question for Jim...
not a question for Jim, as it is just how it goes, and I said it is generally that way, not Always that way. It is easy to determine if they are real or not. Look at the lens edge. Oakley is thicker at the inside where the nose is, and thinner at the edge. The aftermarkets aren't that way. and inside, outside, doesn't matter so long as they are correct. It is what it is and you won't change it, nor will ANYONE at the store level tell you anything that could be considered concrete because THEY DON'T KNOW. They can't even tell you why at HQ and you get repeated stories that are the same. Production could tell you why, but talk to one of them. Good luck lol.

i would do that but the seller already told me to try to remove the icons and if it was impossible to remove, they were fake.... i couldn't get the icons off. we already agreed on a return but i just wanted to learn more about the back etched lenses because it's the first time i've encountered them..

i just added something to my limited knowledge thanks to you guys. :)

Did you just try to pull them off or did you heat them at all? 99% of the time I have to heat them or they won't come off.

Did you just try to pull them off or did you heat them at all? 99% of the time I have to heat them or they won't come off.
i did. i've removed quite a few icons but this one is different. i could try to use more force but i was afraid i might damage it and not get a refund for breaking it.

(don't worry about the transaction because the seller was nice enough to give me a refund. i just need to ship it back.)

The back. From the front the letters are clear but they are very obviously on the back side of the lens. Now you've got me wondering what a front etched lens would look like and why they would ever do that. Seems like a step backwards to coat a lens then scratch some of it off with etching. Or maybe some colors are too dark to see the etching if it isn't on the front?

you have a pretty unique collection considering back etched lenses aren't really that common. how many do you have?

I have ~10 sets of Polarized lenses, Ducati lenses, & IH lenses and EVERY pair I have the etching is on the front of the lens. The first set of lenses that I saw with the etching on the inside was a pair posted here by Infinite Hero.

you have a pretty unique collection considering back etched lenses aren't really that common. how many do you have?
Only 2, a gray for a fuel cell and a fire for the same pair referenced in the other thread, the original o-matter XX. Both are OEM lenses purchased from Oakley. I don't have any other polarized lenses to compare it with since I find polarization unnecessary the vast majority of the time.

Only 2, a gray for a fuel cell and a fire for the same pair referenced in the other thread, the original o-matter XX. Both are OEM lenses purchased from Oakley. I don't have any other polarized lenses to compare it with since I find polarization unnecessary the vast majority of the time.

that's not too surprising, i guess. if you have 6, you should probably try the lottery. lol

I have ~10 sets of Polarized lenses, Ducati lenses, & IH lenses and EVERY pair I have the etching is on the front of the lens. The first set of lenses that I saw with the etching on the inside was a pair posted here by Infinite Hero.
i'm relatively new to the forum. this is the first time i've encountered them. i have a reasonable number of etched lenses (12 polarized, 3 infinite hero, 2 jupiter camo, 2 ducati, 1 vr/46, 1 team usa) and not one of them has a back etching.

Latest Posts

Back