• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized Good/Bad for Youth?!?

PS- speaking to my oakley rep he mentioned "Follow the Dollar" when speaking to him about this subject. He mentioned that parents are not afraid to spend money on protecting their eyes, but rather are afraid they will lose, break, or scratch the glasses. So a more affordable options with impact resistance and UV400+ is what is used most (not polarized, glare-reducing, perfection $$$).

Well, I am an optician. I am not completely bilingüal but I will try to explain this matter as better as I can.

Polarized lenses are ok for everyone, BUT: sunglasses in general, should not be used in a regular way in children. Why?

Because if an eye that is growing (and learning) get use to the darkness that a sunglasses provide, they are going to become photophobic.

It´s jus logical. Just imagine if you spend years in a dark cave, how will be your eyes when you go outside.

I must say that polarized lenses are even darker than standard sunglasses.

So, I recommend using polarized lenses or any sunglasses for you children, just in environments like snow, desserts, the beach at mid-day...

If you want to know more about polarized lenses, please visit this article we created.

What are polarized lenses

Thank you, and I hope I have helped you in some way.

I would rather my children be somewhat "photophobic", which the eye can "unlearn", than have their vision permanently damaged by today's increasing UV.
We're not talking "years in a cave", rather minutes walking to the tinted car, or at most, an hour of soccer practice.
Thanks for the polarized article!

Not what is being preached by the American Optometric Society folks. But, use your judgement people :).

Polarized lenses aren't darker than regular lenses, they filter reflected (polarized and scattered) light. Polarized lenses come in almost every color, shade, and darkness now. Transitions (photochromatic lenses) are the # 1 recommended lenses for children in the United States. Also, just because we need a little bit of sunlight for our skin andbodies to produce vitamin D doesn't mean we wouldn't wear sunblock. Right?

Last edited:
Well, there is not whites or blacks in this matter.

If you choose that your children should use sunglasses as much as possible, we highly recommend to wear a lens CLASE 1 / TONE A. They have 100% UV filter and the transmittance of the light is enough to let the IRIS learn how to contract and dilate.

Please don´t underestimate the photophobia. It can become a serious problem.

If you decide that your children shouldn´t wear sunglasses, please, at least, think about it in the environments I told before: snow, desert, sea, etc,

Thanks for your time.

PD: Living years in cave, obviously, was an extreme and silly example.

Well, I am an optician. I am not completely bilingüal but I will try to explain this matter as better as I can.

Polarized lenses are ok for everyone, BUT: sunglasses in general, should not be used in a regular way in children. Why?

Because if an eye that is growing (and learning) get use to the darkness that a sunglasses provide, they are going to become photophobic.

It´s jus logical. Just imagine if you spend years in a dark cave, how will be your eyes when you go outside.

I must say that polarized lenses are even darker than standard sunglasses.

So, I recommend using polarized lenses or any sunglasses for you children, just in environments like snow, desserts, the beach at mid-day...

If you want to know more about polarized lenses, please visit this article we created.

What are polarized lenses

Thank you, and I hope I have helped you in some way.

Which company makes the best polarized sunglasses in your opinion ?

What about the brand Polaroid, all their glasses are polarized, are they good ?

Hel
Which company makes the best polarized sunglasses in your opinion ?

What about the brand Polaroid, all their glasses are polarized, are they good ?

Hi Tomtucker

I can´t answer your first question. There is a lot of good companies that make good lenses and sunglasses. I can´t choose anyone because the list would be very large. But Oakley is on the podium of course, for someones would be the first, for others the second or third.

Talking about Polaroid, you are right. All of their lenses are polarized and I can say that the quality of the lenses is good. I can´t say anything else :(

I hope I have helped you.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks restorer.......yeah, i got several Polarized brand sunglasses, lenses are prety good, but the frames are rather weak, but of course they don´t charge a boatload of money for them either, so you can´t really complain that much. Mine were purchased in europe, i wonder if different models are released in europe compared to the US.

Regarding Oakley polarized lenses, is the polarized oakley lenses not just a coating on the outside of the lens, where other manufacturers put the polarized coating "inside" or rather in the middle of the lens so it won´t wear/peel off the lens ?

Back