• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

POLARIZED: Ice, Fire, And VR28 Black Iridium

-=Jeff=-

Oakley Expert
I have these 3 lenses currently

Ice and VR28 in Juliets and Fire in X Squared. This is purely my take on it, but I know all are around 10% transmission, but I find the Fire to be not dark enough on a sunny day, maybe it is the base color or the contrast, but I find they seem to reduce the bright light but not as much as the other 2. I gravitate to the Ice most of the time recently, maybe because I am use to Black Iridium Polarized which I have always had ( due to having RX and wanting the darkest)

I like the VR28 Black irdium as they do decently on a sunny day, just not sure why the Fire don't seen as dark to me..

Fire uses a green/blue base instead of grey. I didn't like them at all and felt colors were too distorted. They didn't feel not dark enough, just too odd to look through.

I have a set of Gold Iridium Polarized and I'm becoming less and less a fan of it. They ride in my work bag and heading home at ~4pm this time of year puts the evening sun right in my eyes. These just don't kill it like BIP or VR28BIP. But both of those feel too dark on slightly overcast days where it's bright out but there's no direct sun.

I also feel the amount of contrast in the Gold is not enough. I love the VR28 lenses and the delights that come with the intensity it brings to things. Gold just makes everything a little more... gold. Colors don't feel like they jump nearly as much. I can't say I don't like wearing them or that they're bad lenses, just nothing compared to a VR28BIP.

I haven't had a set of Ice.

My favorites:

1) Vr28 BIP - The Best of the Best
2) Tungsten Iridium Polarized - It's not as bronze as Titanium, and just as effective!
3) Warm Grey - One of the more underrated lenses in my opinion. Great all around lens! Add's very subtle contrast yet performs well!

Contrast lenses always create the appearance of more brightness in my experience. Fire isn't my favorite but little else looks as stunning in my polished Juliet. Titanium Iridium Polarized might be the companys most underrated lens

I like Titanium Iridium. Got two sets in different pairs. I just don't like how dark they are compared to the bronze counterparts. I think it's just the contrast though; makes the world look extremely sepia-ish.

For my 2p, to look thru Fire is quite light, then VR28 BI, then Ice is darkest of the three.
As you said, it's interesting that they all have the same light transmission stat.

I have often thought that the Ice Iridium in my gen 1 Juliet might even be my darkest lens. Even compared to all my Black Iridiums/Polariseds etc, putting on the old skool Juliet Ice is like flipping down the visor on a welding helmet.

Herbsley, I have to agree with you on this. I am looking to get another pair of lenses for my X squared so I will more then likely do black Iridium Polarized unless I can find an Ice Polarized for them

Back