• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized Lenses-Really Worth It?

rjn915

Oakley Beginner
I'm new to the whole Oakley/Sunglasses thing in general. I am buying my first pair of Oakleys, The Flak Jacket XLJ. The polarized versions are about $50 more, are they worth it? I do not fish, which i heard is a big activity in which polarized lenses help. I will only wear these for daily uses; walking around, driving, beach etc. Not for sports, not for anything other than a general use. Do you guys think i should buy the polarized lenses? Also if i bought them without the polarized lenses and later realize i want the polarized lenses, can i just buy polarized lenses for the flak jackets and throw them in?

You can add a set of polarized lenses later. If you live where there is no snow, do not go on the water (fishing, boating, etc), and have lived fine without the use of sunglasses on sunny days then you likely don't need the polarized lenses.

The polarizing filter helps cuts glare reflecting off of horizontal surfaces, specifically water, but that also includes snow, cars, wet roads, etc.

I wear them because when I'm driving on a sunny day the spots of glare on cars will feel like needles in my eyes. Wearing a normal pair with iridium coating helps, but it's a pleasure for me to wear a polarized set of glasses to help reduce glare and eye fatigue.

I live in Massachusetts, so we do get snow. I never really go fishing or boating or any of that and i have lived fine without sunglasses/cheap sunglasses. While driving i have never been too bothered by the sun/glares of cars. Thanks for the info, i will buy them without the polarized lenses and if needed i will but a polarized set of lenses. Thanks!

I would only buy polarized and not mess with swapping the lenses later. If you drive, polarized makes a huge difference between only seeing glare vs. seeing what's in front of you, especially when driving towards the sun.

If it's your first pair, I'd suggest going to the Oakley store and trying on a bunch of diff models to see if they fit your head and face comfortably without feeling like they are too tight and likely to break, especially the hinges. That was my big mistake when I bought the first polarized Straight Jacket that eventually cracked at the hinges.

And one thing you also need to know is,some people get headache from wearing polarized lenses.Dont want to scare you,just saying,you should have that on your mind.

I would only buy polarized and not mess with swapping the lenses later. If you drive, polarized makes a huge difference between only seeing glare vs. seeing what's in front of you, especially when driving towards the sun.
Yeah based on my uses for them i see driving as the only thing they would really help for but when i think about it i drive fine with no sunglasses or regular cheap sunglasses that i have used before.
Like rustpot said, for most people, non polarized are fine. if $50 is your concern, save your money and go with regular lenses.
yeah the 50 extra just doesn't seem worth it for me, especially for my first pair that will probably get beat up.

If it's your first pair, I'd suggest going to the Oakley store and trying on a bunch of diff models to see if they fit your head and face comfortably without feeling like they are too tight and likely to break, especially the hinges. That was my big mistake when I bought the first polarized Straight Jacket that eventually cracked at the hinges.
I went to the Oakley store today actually and tried a bunch on, that's how i know i want the Flak Jackets.
And one thing you also need to know is,some people get headache from wearing polarized lenses.Dont want to scare you,just saying,you should have that on your mind.
Thanks for that little bit of info, i'll keep that in mind.

I live in sunny South Florida so I only wear polarized glasses...When driving the glare from the road and its surroundings put a real strain on the eyes and especially the sun reflecting off the windshields is brutal.I even had Dr.Chop make custom polarized lenses for my X-Metal Penny glasses.

Back