• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized Lenses-Really Worth It?

I guess those lenses are useful for somewhere like Florida, it's not always too sunny here in the northeast.

If you ask me, Polarized lenses are a "second lens". If you are buying sunglasses for general use, you should probably be using non-polarized black iridium, or any of the <15% base tints. The polarized lenses are pretty powerful, especially the black iridium version...too dark to use in the shade, so to me that's a lens you keep in the array case for those really sunny days in the snow or out on/near the water.

I would not recommend a polarized lens for your first pair of Oakleys.

If you ask me, Polarized lenses are a "second lens". If you are buying sunglasses for general use, you should probably be using non-polarized black iridium, or any of the <15% base tints. The polarized lenses are pretty powerful, especially the black iridium version...too dark to use in the shade, so to me that's a lens you keep in the array case for those really sunny days in the snow or out on/near the water.

I would not recommend a polarized lens for your first pair of Oakleys.
My first pair was polarized, and when I went non-polar on the second I had to buy a polarized lens for daily use. I use black iridium polarized indoors and on less-than-intensly-sunny days. They're a bit overkill, but not too incredibly dark.

only buy polarized if your going to use it for a specific activity that needs it like water sports
Some people get headaches from wearing polarized glasses, some people (like me) prefer them over anything else. My brother wears grey polarized exclusively.

I have a pair of Maui Jims sunnies with polarised lenses and I think my Frogs with the Fire Iridium lenses are far better, especially when driving. Wore them all week in really bright sun including at an outdoor car show where it was reflecting off the windscreens and had no problems.

I have a pair of Maui Jims sunnies with polarised lenses and I think my Frogs with the Fire Iridium lenses are far better, especially when driving. Wore them all week in really bright sun including at an outdoor car show where it was reflecting off the windscreens and had no problems.

There is a reason you think the frogs are better...it's because they're made by Oakley :cool:

I'm looking for some shades... I haven't owned sunglasses in YEARS.

My uses:

GOLF
Vacation coming up in Jamaica
Summer days at the Lake
And I live in NY so there's the snow issue.

Maybe I don't need Polarized... I don't know.

Latest Posts

Back