• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized Vs. Non Polarized

RedJeep83

Oakley Beginner
Was just wondering your opinion if I should get polarized or non polarized. Reason I ask is the fast jackets are 280 for polarized but only 220 for non polarized. 280 is alot but I will spend it if its really really worth it. Is polarized really that amazing compared to the non polarized oakley lens's or is it just minor? I tried them both on at the sunglass place but didnt really noticed that much of a difference like I might of if I walked around. They showed me some mauji jim screen that shows the difference by revealing all the colors or something,lol, but I dont know if thats kinda gimmicky, like not that often in the real world because I couldnt see those colors with my naked eye,only the glasses

I personally feel polarization creates more sharpness in all conditions, but I'm sure most here would agree that unless you're around water a lot they are not a must have. If you're going to be around water a lot I would say polarized is a must have

Dozens will telll u its worth it..my dad is among them ..he hunts and fishes...for me I have a Vestibular eye - strange condition Very strong contacts -650 and color blindness to boot. Polarized gave me massive headaches as 3d movies...Depth perception problems and all kinds of things ..so if I put them on for minute or 2 and compare to me the difference even w/out those factors is barely there except on water ..I just don't look towards the glare-its how I deal with it. For sportsman and for many they feel its worth it ...I wish I still had polarized lenses I took out ...I'd give em away...there's different opinions and for me even without the difficulties money is now an issue... my 2 cents is black iridium works just fine on bright days as does Ice but that's just me.

I am a big fan of polarized lenses. If I had a choice all of my glasses would be polarized. However there are far to many choices out there for non polarized lenses. There are a lot of very cool lenses that are not offered in polarized lenses. It is all personal preference. If you lock yourself in to only buying glasses with polarized lenses...you will be missing out on a lot of great sunglasses. Don't ask me how I know!

I am a big fan of polarized lenses. If I had a choice all of my glasses would be polarized. However there are far to many choices out there for non polarized lenses. There are a lot of very cool lenses that are not offered in polarized lenses. It is all personal preference. If you lock yourself in to only buying glasses with polarized lenses...you will be missing out on a lot of great sunglasses. Don't ask me how I know!

Totally agree on all points

if you have the money to spend, i think polarized is worth it. its best when used around water, but thats not the only time you benefit. even driving during the day, you see glare from all kinds of things from building windows to other vehicles windshields. also, i live in the mountains. so often times, we see a lot of snow fall that stays around for weeks sometimes months at a time. more times than not, that snow freezes on top and creates huge sheets of ice. as soon as the sun hits that ice, it will easily blind you and make it very difficult to keep your eyes on the road.

if its not going to break the bank, and you encounter any of the conditions i mentioned, then i say definitely go polarized.

Very good point made here. My friend's OCD is really bad when it comes to this. He'll go through a phase where everything he wants in his collection is polarized and missed out on a bunch of nice sunnies because they weren't polarized.

if you have an ipod touch or an ipad, you can download the oakley app and get an idea of what its like to look through a polarized lens vs a non polarized lens

yea its mainly a money issue for me, the fast jackets are already pretty expensive. Im thinking Il just go with non polarized, I dont have a problem with glare usually with my naked eye let alone with sunglasses on plus I would like to be able to see my phone and gps when I have them on. I plan on picking up a pair of g30 accessory lenses for golf when they come out as well, dont want to break the bank.

Polarized is great for everyday use and stuff. The only reason I personally don't buy polarized because I like to fly and a lot of the instruments on the aircraft and even the canopy have an anti-glare coating and polarized lenses will distort it. It's really up to you and also you can buy lenses from the website if you feel like having a change of pace.

Back