• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Buying Polished Clear Monster Dog

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
I've used rubbing alcohol and it works really quick without affecting temple Os. Finish polish with Cape Cod Cloths

Some people reacted to this post.
How to Get Clear Monster Dogs:-

This can only be done on FADE versions of the monster dogs, fat cat and monster doggle frames. ie. Whiskey MD, Brown Fade MD, Whiskey Fat Cat, Black Fade Monster Doggle.

N.B. This CANNOT be done to the coloured transparent frames, because the colour is mixed in with the polycarbonate as opposed to being painted on it.

There's a few ways you can do it.

The easiest is to take the lenses out, and use (NON-ACETONE BASED) nail polish remover. This is the fastest way and doesn't take much nail polish remover. Budget USD$3.50 and about 5 minutes of your time (2 minutes is taken to remove the lenses!!!). If you're unsure what is in the nail polish, TEST it first on the inside arm near the temple!!

Use a toothpick to clear the lens groove and hard to get corners. It makes a big difference if you do this, because when you clean the paint off, it sometimes gets "wiped" into nooks and crannies of the MD frame. If this happens, you'll find "shadowing" in those areas and the frame will look dirty/smudgy as it casts a shadow on other parts of the frame. The hardest part is at the inner hinge point.

I'd advise against trying to disassemble the arms from the frame because they're quite challenging to get apart without scoring or breaking!! Besides, there's actually no paint on the difficult to access parts of the hinge.

If you want to keep the colour of the Oakley icons, be EXTRA careful of not getting nail polish on the icons. If you do, then you may find that underneath, the icon is actually a base silver colour (which actually looks awesome), or it could be a gold/brown colour. I've done 2 pairs and both have different base icons after scrubbing!!

Once you have cleaned everything off, make sure you WASH the frame in water at least, to get off any nail polish remover, because it can affect the lenses you put in (as well as your eyes!!!).

I've also seen instructions to use warm soapy water. But hats off to you if you do this. I tried and it would take hours by my calculation!!!

Others have used alcohol swabs. This probably halves the time compared to using just soapy water. In other words, it will still take 3 hours of elbow grease!!!

All the best, and make sure to post your pictures here!!

Some people reacted to this post.