• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polished mag switch update

N Jenner

Oakley Expert
Long term update on the polished out magnesium switch. Not sure if anyone remembers the thread but almost 2 years ago I stripped all the ceramic coating on a trashed mag switch and proceeded to polish out the magnesium frame. After polishing I decided not to go with any type of clear coat or protection on the magnesium, these have sat in my display case without being worn for just under 2 years now. The polished finish is definitely gone but they don’t seem to be progressing any further now that they have a good layer of oxidation.

Definitely worth it in my opinion if you have a trashed pair that the ceramic is coming off, polish em out and let them sit and oxidize for a very unique finish. The way they should have come right from factory in my opinion. Texture is kinda like oxidized aluminum but a bit darker in colour.

Below are before and after pics of the oxidation.

After polishing
1398981E-B6F6-46FC-AE1E-4DE1257366FF.jpeg

Almost 2 years later
F8F5E6BC-BC83-40AE-AD39-8EA15376C278.jpeg

Thanks everyone! Takes a while to get the garbage ceramic off the frames but worth it. If anyone has a trashed pair that they want to get rid of I would be interested, wouldn’t mind trying a pair with a mild stonewash after polishing then letting them oxidize. Might make an interesting finish with the oxidizing over the scratch pattern.

Back